[comp.sys.mac.comm] ZTerm and Zmodem problems

tuceryan@pixel.uucp (Mihran Tuceryan) (09/25/90)

Hello,

I am trying to use ZTerm and zmodem to transfer files between a
Mac and a unix and I am not succeeding.

I have a Mac SE at home and I dial in to the Sun 4 at work which
is running SunOS 4.1.

I have obtained from sumex-aim.stanford.edu both the ZTerm 0.85
for my Mac and zmodem for the unix.

I connect to the Sun on a 2400 baud line. I have compiled the sz/rz
programs by executing

	make bsd

on the Sun.

I give the "sz filename" command on the unix end; a status window starts
on the mac indicating that at least something is going on. But then
it sits there doing nothing. I finally have to cancel the whole thing.

I would appreciate any suggestions about what I am doing wrong?

Mihran Tuceryan
tuceryan@cps.msu.edu

klussier@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Kevin Lussier) (09/26/90)

In article <1990Sep25.015417.9412@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> tuceryan@pixel.uucp (Mihran Tuceryan) writes:

>I am trying to use ZTerm and zmodem to transfer files between a
>Mac and a unix and I am not succeeding.
>
>I give the "sz filename" command on the unix end; a status window starts
>on the mac indicating that at least something is going on. But then
>it sits there doing nothing. I finally have to cancel the whole thing.

	Could it be that the connection to the Unix machine over the modem is
7 bit? I had the exact same setup, and could not get it to work either. That
was the only solution I could think of.

		Kevin
--
klussier@rodan.acs.syr.edu   | 'Look! Up in the sky. It's a bird, it's a plane,
klussier@sunrise.acs.syr.edu | it's Superman!'

chris@cj_net.in-berlin.de (Christof Junge) (09/27/90)

tuceryan@pixel.uucp (Mihran Tuceryan) writes:

| I give the "sz filename" command on the unix end; a status window starts
| on the mac indicating that at least something is going on. But then
| it sits there doing nothing. I finally have to cancel the whole thing.

| I would appreciate any suggestions about what I am doing wrong?

Try sz -L 1024 filename. It helps here between my AT (Unix Sys V.3) and
my MacPlus.

	- chris
--
Christof Junge       | UUCP: ..!tmpmbx!cj_net!chris
Holsteinische Str.17 |       chris@cj_net.in-berlin.de

chrism@col.hp.com (Chris Magnuson) (09/27/90)

This is a common problem.  Make sure to avoid the telnet process as well
since apparently there are some escape characters that gum things up.

chrism@col.hp.com

wsinkees@wsinti01.info.win.tue.nl (Kees Huizing) (09/28/90)

tuceryan@pixel.uucp (Mihran Tuceryan) writes:

>Hello,

>I am trying to use ZTerm and zmodem to transfer files between a
>Mac and a unix and I am not succeeding.

>I have a Mac SE at home and I dial in to the Sun 4 at work which
>is running SunOS 4.1.

Apart from the other suggestions done on the net,,
- try ptest.sh, which is shipped with zmodem, to test if your Unix side is
ok;
- be sure that you are directly connected to your Sun, not via remote
logins etc., otherwise connect to the server or whatever machine is
directly connected to the phone;
- I encountered problems when the baud rate at the Unix side was too high
(check with stty, set it with "stty 2400" -- here, 9600 baud works with a 2400
baud modem, but a higher rate didn't);
- make sure that you have defined an appropriate receive folder with zterm
- if you are connected via a telnet box to the Sun, make sure that
   a) Escape Ctrls is checked in Zterm
   b) transparency is "on" for telnet;
- don't despair, it wil work, someday.
--
Kees Huizing - Eindhoven Univ of Techn - Dept Math & Comp Sc - The Netherlands
DOMAIN: wsinkees@win.tue.nl    BITNET: wsdckeesh@heitue5    FAX: +31-40-436685