[comp.sys.mac.comm] GatorMailQ vs UMCP/QM

evelyn@uts.amdahl.com (Evelyn Mast) (09/25/90)

I would like to know the pros and cons of each of these mail
bridges.  I have an Appletalk network connected to ethernet
via FastPath.  The Sun workstations on ethernet handle email.
I will be putting QuickMail on the Macs, and want a way to
get mail to and from the Macs.  I know that GatorMailQ uses
SMTP and that UMCP/QM uses UUCP.

Can anyone out there give me some help with this?  There is
a HUGH price difference between the two, but I care a lot
about functionality and support.

Thanks!
Evelyn
evelyn@amdahl.com

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (09/28/90)

In article <eeq002WwcbGB01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> evelyn@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Evelyn Mast) writes:
>I would like to know the pros and cons of each of these mail
>bridges.

You hit on one big advantage of UMCP\QM when you mentioned the huge
price difference.  Most importantly, UMCP\QM lets you create an unlimited
number of connections, and provide service to an unlimited number of users,
on a single QuickMail server machine, unlike GatorMail, which has a high
price PER USER.

One drawback to UMCP\QM in your situation may be that a serial connection,
either by dialup or direct serial cable, could be unfeasible for you.  If
so, then GatorMailQ's ability to work over an ethernet link will be very
important.

As far as functionality and support go, UMCP\QM has made me very happy,
both in what it can do, and the level of immediate, helpful support I get
from Information Electronics when I have questions or problems.

--
Mark H. Anbinder        *************************   mha@theory.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Computers          *                 *******  ...!batcomputer!memory!mha

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (09/29/90)

If the cost of supporting a large number of users is becoming a
barrier to using GatorMail-q, I suggest you check into a site license.
We purchased a campus wide license for Rutgers University for $2k  For
that price we get code with no expiration date and no limit on the
number of users.

Seymour