[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacX available ?

a0061@iti.org (Claus Kalle) (09/03/90)

Hi,
Just today I got a little brochure into my hands named "Introduction to the
Apple-Digital Network Environment" EC-G0751-69 and M6074LL/B on its back and in
it a reference to a product named "MacX, Apple's implementation of X11,
consists ...". I remember some discussion on that topic some months ago,
but never heard of it again. Is it finished up now ? Buyable, free or what ?
--
Claus Kalle, University of Cologne              i   i
Regional Computing Center                       M   M  The

jason@cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) (09/03/90)

In article <1990Sep2.212341.16059@rrz.uni-koeln.de> a0061@iti.org (Claus Kalle) writes:
> [lotsa stuff deleted]
>Is it finished up now ? Buyable, free or what ?
> [lotsa stuff deleted]

   Yes. It's available from Apple. It costs $295. It is
order number M0108LL/A. It includes everything you need to
run MacX under MacOS, and, I believe, A/UX multifinder as well.

   Basically, you get an XR3 server in the form of a Mac application,
all the standard BDF X fonts, MacTCP, and the Communications Toolbox with
the TCPtool.

   MacX converts the BDF fonts and any MacOS fonts into a form usable
by X clients. It also supports 8-bit color.

   Also consider eXodus, an X R4 server by White Pines Software,
(603)886-9050. It has most of the MacX features plus some of its own,
and it includes the software to run on DECNET as well as MacTCP.

         ---Jason  jason@cs.utexas.edu

briel@sctc.com (Marc Briel ) (09/07/90)

Can anyone comment on the comparative performance/usability of MacX on Ethernet vs. Appletalk. ?  Out Appletalk connects to our ethernet via a Kinetics Fastpath (i think).

Is the appletalk hookup really usable or would I be better off investing in an Ethernet card for my Mac II?

				Marc Briel
				briel@sctc.com

lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl) (09/11/90)

Mac X is available from APDA for $295 a pop. I bought the $100 "evaluation"
version, which is kinda a pain to set up but works very well (even on
a 19" Radius monitor).

DEC offers a combination of MACX, a DEC terminal emulator, PC mail, and
AppleShare file server on the VAX for $440 (for the VAX/VMS side, on
a TK50 tape) and $295 per Mac license. The VAX (under VMS) will then
do print and AppleShare file serving using AppleTalk (will run on
ETHERNET).

Ordering information:

Call DEC at 1-800-343-4040.

DEC LanWorks: QA-YPCAA-H5, on TK50 tape. $495.
Mac License for MACX, terminal emulator: QL-YPH9W-AA: $295.

A friend of mine has ordered the above for his VAX and Macintoshen. I haven't
seen it run personally, myself (minor disclaimer).

Charlie S. Lindahl
Automation and Robotics Research Institute
University of Texas at Arlington
Internet EMAIL: lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu

Standard disclaimer: Ain't no opinion but my own.

--

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep10.232214.23267@evax.arl.utexas.edu> lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl) writes:
>DEC offers a combination of MACX, a DEC terminal emulator...<deleted>

The "DEC terminal emulator" is MacTerminal 3.0, bundled with the TTY, VT102
and VT320 terminal tools, Text and XMODEM file transfer tools, and the ADSP,
Serial and Apple Modem connection tools.

Just FYI...

Byron

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (09/12/90)

In article <10144@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat)
writes:
> The "DEC terminal emulator" is MacTerminal 3.0, bundled with the TTY, VT102
> and VT320 terminal tools, Text and XMODEM file transfer tools, and the ADSP,
> Serial and Apple Modem connection tools.

What about the LAT connection tool? We've been waiting for that for a
while so we could get rid of our serial lines attached to DEC terminal
servers.

David Gutierrez
an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep10.232214.23267@evax.arl.utexas.edu> lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl) writes:
>Mac X is available from APDA for $295 a pop. I bought the $100 "evaluation"
>version, which is kinda a pain to set up but works very well (even on
>a 19" Radius monitor).

MacX is NOT available through APDA.  It is available from Apple Authorized
N&C Dealers.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (09/13/90)

In article <4099@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>What about the LAT connection tool? We've been waiting for that for a
>while so we could get rid of our serial lines attached to DEC terminal
>servers.
>
>David Gutierrez
>an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

The LAT (Local Access Transport) Connection Tool for the Macintosh
Communications Toolbox is currently shipping from APDA.
Part #: M0800LL/A, Price: $50.00

APDA can be reached at:
(800) 282-2732 (in the U.S.)
(800) 637-0029 (in Canada)
(408) 562-3910 (elsewhere)

or via e-mail at: APDA@applelink.apple.com

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl) (09/13/90)

In a previous article, I posted that Mac X was available thru APDA.

>MacX is NOT available through APDA.  It is available from Apple Authorized
>N&C Dealers.

>Rick Fleischman
>Developer Programs/APDA
>Apple Computer, Inc.
>e-mail: rickf@apple.com

Whoops! Thanx, Rick, for clarifying that. My mistake ...

Now ANOTHER question about my previous posting, which we can't seem to
get a quick answer to:

Does the DEC LANWORKS package include MACTCP as well as MACX? Can anyone
give me specific firsthand knowledge?

Thanx,
--

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (09/13/90)

In article <10200@goofy.Apple.COM> rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman)
writes:
> The LAT (Local Access Transport) Connection Tool for the Macintosh
> Communications Toolbox is currently shipping from APDA.

Good! Now I have two questions.

1. Has the LAT connection tool been tested with MacTerminal 3.0 over
FastPaths?

2. Is there any kind of site license available for the LAT tool?

David Gutierrez

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (09/14/90)

In article <4103@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>1. Has the LAT connection tool been tested with MacTerminal 3.0 over
>FastPaths?

The LAT Connection Tool only works on a Macintosh directly connected to
Ethernet.  It does not work on a Macintosh connected to a router via
LocalTalk cables.

>2. Is there any kind of site license available for the LAT tool?

The only license available for the LAT tool is a commercial redistribution
license for distributing the LAT tool with a commercial product.

roland@dna.lth.se (Roland Mansson) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.044000.10399@evax.arl.utexas.edu> lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl) writes:
>Does the DEC LANWORKS package include MACTCP as well as MACX? Can anyone
>give me specific firsthand knowledge?

I think DEC LanWORKS will include MacTCP, and a MacTCP CTB tool that only
works with MacX.
--
Roland Mansson, Lund University Computing Center, Box 783, S220 07 Lund, Sweden
Phone: +46-46107436   Fax: +46-46138225   Bitnet: roland_m@seldc52

lindahl@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Charlie Lindahl) (09/14/90)

At NETWORLD in Dallas this week, I got a DEFINITE answer to the question:

Is MACTCP included with DEC LANWORKS (a DEC package which emulates
AppleTalk under VMS for $440)?

The answer is YES!

--

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat) (09/18/90)

In article <4099@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>What about the LAT connection tool? We've been waiting for that for a
>while so we could get rid of our serial lines attached to DEC terminal
>servers.

The DEC LANWorks product includes the basic connectivity set (TTY, VT102,
ADSP, Serial, Apple Modem, Text, and XMODEM), VT320, LAT, TGA, CTerm, and
MacTCP Tool (for use with MacX).

I think this covers all of them...

Basic Connectivity Set license: $50/year
VT320 license: single use $50, redistribution $1000 one time fee
LAT license: single use $50, redistribution $2500 one time fee

For information on site licensing other tools or more information on
licensing these tools, please contact Apple Software Licensing at
SW.LICENSE@applelink.apple.COM.

Hope this helps.

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (09/18/90)

In article <10269@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat)
writes:
> The DEC LANWorks product includes the basic connectivity set (TTY, VT102,
> ADSP, Serial, Apple Modem, Text, and XMODEM), VT320, LAT, TGA, CTerm, and
> MacTCP Tool (for use with MacX).

Once again: We are *not* going to put 500 Macs on DECnet. Our DECnet table
is already full - there are no more addresses available (even with Phase
V, our state-wide network will remain crowded). We do fine with BYU Telnet
(thanks, NCSA & BYU) for machines with TCP/IP. The one machine that uses
LAT only is not sufficient justification for buying LANWorks. Besides, the
LAT tool doesn't work for Macs on LocalTalk with a Fastpath connection to
Ethernet, which makes it essentially useless for us. We can't afford to
put 500 Macs on Ethernet at $800 a pop (not including $200 for each
LANWorks node).

Which brings us to another topic:

I am going to recommend to our computer center that they install LANWorks
on the Vaxen but that they *not* put it on any Mac. This should give us
file transfer to the Vaxen via AppleShare.
For terminal sessions, we will use MacTerminal 3.0 if it lets us make
connections via TCP/IP; otherwise, we'll stick with BYU Telnet. For mail
access, we'll rely on DEC's Mail Router and a QuickMail bridge (also other
bridges to get us to our IBM 3090 mail system and our PC LANs).
If we can't get a site license for MacX, we'll buy individual copies for
those who want them.

writes:
> Hope this helps.

Sorry, Byron: this is not meant to be a flame. I deeply appreciate those
Apple employees who take the time and the trouble to talk to us on the
net. I'm sure many others will join me in thanking you for your help.

David Gutierrez

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat) (09/19/90)

In article <4111@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>For terminal sessions, we will use MacTerminal 3.0 if it lets us make
>connections via TCP/IP; otherwise, we'll stick with BYU Telnet.

Advanced Software Concepts is shipping their TCPack Connection Tool which
provides full Telnet support as well as FTP server capabilities.  They have
both individual and site licenses available.

There are also several other individuals/companies working on TCP/IP and/or
Telnet Connection Tools - you know who you are - and are rumored to be
available sometime this fall...  (I'd tell you you they are except that they
would probably tie me up and send me to S. Hussein as a gift...:-))

>Sorry, Byron: this is not meant to be a flame.

Not taken as one.

Byron Han
CommToolbox Scapegoat
PTO ICE

an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (09/19/90)

In article <10281@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat)
writes:
> Advanced Software Concepts is shipping their TCPack Connection Tool which
> provides full Telnet support as well as FTP server capabilities.  They
have
> both individual and site licenses available.

This sounds like something we might be able to use. Can you give me contact info for this outfit?

David Gutierrez

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat) (09/20/90)

In article <4114@lib.tmc.edu> an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>In article <10281@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat)
>writes:
>> Advanced Software Concepts is shipping their TCPack Connection Tool which
>
>This sounds like something we might be able to use. Can you give me contact info for this outfit?

Advanced Software Concepts
215, Chemin de la Sine
06140 Vence (France)

ADV.SOFT@applelink.apple.COM
(33) 93.58.19.79

Unit price is $150.  Site license and corporate licenses are available.  Contact
them directly.

I have no connection with ASC except as a satisfied user of their TCPack
Connection Tool

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (09/20/90)

Gutierrez) writes:

> In article <10281@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat)
> writes:
> > Advanced Software Concepts is shipping their TCPack Connection Tool which
> > provides full Telnet support as well as FTP server capabilities.  They
> have
> > both individual and site licenses available.
>
> This sounds like something we might be able to use. Can you give me contact info for this outfit?

It might be noted that their FTP is a seperate application.  It isn't a Tool.
Just for those who are thinking otherwise.
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

In article <26F7BB8B.474@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
>In article <4114@lib.tmc.edu>, an12280@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David
>Gutierrez) writes:
>>
>> In article <10281@goofy.Apple.COM> han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, scapegoat)
>> writes:
>> > Advanced Software Concepts is shipping their TCPack Connection Tool which
>> > provides full Telnet support as well as FTP server capabilities.  They
>> have
>> > both individual and site licenses available.
>>
>It might be noted that their FTP is a seperate application.  It isn't a Tool.
>Just for those who are thinking otherwise.

Actually, there FTP server is integrated into their TCPack Connection Tool.
When you open a session using any application that is Connection Manager
compliant, the FTP Server activates.  So therefore, if you use MacTerminal 3.0
and the TCPack Connection Tool, when you open a document that uses the ASC Tool
the FTP server automatically fires up.  Similarly with VersaTerm Pro and other
Connection Mgr compliant applications.

Hope this helps.

I have no connection with ASC except as a user of their software.  Similarly
for Synergy Software.  This is not an official Apple statement
.

veizades@apple.com (John Veizades) (10/03/90)

For those of you who are still wondering how to get MacX from Apple:

MacX is on the Apple Higher Education price list as well as being
available for Apple Software licensing.

For information on site licensing MacX, please contact Apple Software
Licensing at
SW.LICENSE@applelink.apple.COM.  Otherwise contact your sales
representative.

John Veizades...