[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mail, News, FTP, and Telnet question.

jim@dorm.rutgers.edu (Jim Martin) (10/01/90)

A question for you all. I've just installed a multi-protocol network
in a 150 port dorm here at Rutgers, one of which is PhoneNet. I'm now
in the process of pulling together software to provide services for my
Mac users. I have a Sun 4/380 that I'm using as pop/nntp/smtp server,
and am currently looking at BYU Telnet, HyperFtp, MacPOP, and
(possibly) Mews. My problem is this, I'm not the worlds most up to
date Mac Hack (give me a month or two though). What is the general
consensus on what are the best Mail, News, FTP, and telnet programs to
use? I would prefer to stay away from Hypercard because I have several
1 meg Mac Plus's as clients and need something for them to use. Any
oppinions would be apreciated.
					Jim

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/03/90)

In article <Sep.30.14.43.21.1990.24408@dorm.rutgers.edu>, jim@dorm.rutgers.edu
(Jim Martin) writes:
> A question for you all. I've just installed a multi-protocol network
> in a 150 port dorm here at Rutgers, one of which is PhoneNet. I'm now
> in the process of pulling together software to provide services for my
> Mac users. I have a Sun 4/380 that I'm using as pop/nntp/smtp server,
> and am currently looking at BYU Telnet, HyperFtp, MacPOP, and
> (possibly) Mews. My problem is this, I'm not the worlds most up to
> date Mac Hack (give me a month or two though). What is the general
> consensus on what are the best Mail, News, FTP, and telnet programs to
> use? I would prefer to stay away from Hypercard because I have several
> 1 meg Mac Plus's as clients and need something for them to use. Any
> oppinions would be apreciated.
> 					Jim

I assume that you want PD?

Take a look at NCSA Telnet (The BYU version contains FTP Client, so you don't
need the hyperFTP), get a copy of Eudora (sp?) from the U of ILL.  For News
you are pretty much stuck with a HC stack.  I currently do not know of a
non-PD news reader that is not a HC stack.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

epan@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Eric C. Pan) (10/05/90)

 With all the talks of Mail, FTP, News, Telnet.. etc, people are talking of direct connection, through a Router, or an Ethernet board right in their mac....
  My Question is, is there any software availible for you to do it over the modem line.... granted, most people don't consider that since it's crazy at 1200 or  2400 baud... but if you've got a V.32, add in MNP 5 or V.42/V.42bis, and you've got 19.2 to 38.4, the typical speed used for terminals... so is there anything availible for that?
		And how would I get my hands on them ( PD/Shareware please )
			Thanks in Advance, Eric