[comp.sys.mac.comm] Telnet...TCP or NCSA ???

cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) (10/01/90)

Whats the difference between NCSA Telnet and TCP Telnet ??? When would it be
best to use the one over the other ???

Best regards

Chris Morgan
cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/03/90)

In article <13794@slice.ooc.uva.nl>, cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS)
writes:
> TCP Telnet

Never heard of it?  Where did you get it?

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (10/03/90)

cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) writes:

>Whats the difference between NCSA Telnet and TCP Telnet ??? When would it be
>best to use the one over the other ???

There are four different offshoots of V2.3 of TelNet that I now own:

TelNet NCSA 2.3 - The original
TelNet NCSA 2.3 (MacTCP) - The original with MacTCP support
TelNet NCSA/BYU 2.3.1 - The original with added support for host FTP,
                surgery performed by Bringham Young University.
TelNet NCSA/BYU 2.3.2 (MacTCP) - The original with support for
		host FTP and MacTCP.

Now....what does this all mean?

MacTCP - This feature is, at a simplistic level, a convienence for
        the macintosh user.  MacTCP is a CDEV that allows you to
        set the TCP/IP information for you Macintosh in one spot,
        i.e. the control panel, instead of within the various
        applications.  The advantage is that the addition of newer
	MacTCP friendly programs will be easier as they all find their
	network information in a common spot.  Other products that
	use this feature are tn3270 and Gator-Mail (SMTP gateway for
	MS Mail and QuickMail).

Host FTP - The standard way for a Macintosh user to xfer files from
	a distant computer to himself is to TelNet into the distant
	computer (know as the host) and FTP back to himself.  The
	distant computer supports the host FTP session and the mac
	is the client.  Well any good computer should be able to
	support host FTP, now the mac can also with two of the four versions
	of TelNet shown above.  Now you can FTP from the mac (the
	host) to the distant computer (the client).  Wow!  Now you
	can anonymous FTP into that favorite computer of yours.

P.S. Is V2.4 out of Beta yet?
P.P.S What is the state of TelNet for the (ugh) IBM-PC world?
=    John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group              =
=                   e-mail: ...uunet!motcid!derosaj                         =
=                           motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net                     =
=                Applelink: N1111                                           =
= I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =
=      nor am I responsible for anything my employer may do or say.         =

cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS) (10/03/90)

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:

>In article <13794@slice.ooc.uva.nl>, cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl (Chris Morgan/RIKS)
>writes:
>> TCP Telnet

>Never heard of it?  Where did you get it?

>--
>Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
>703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
>703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

Did I say TCP telnet ??? Oh sorry, I mean the MacTCP version.

best regards

Chris Morgan
cmorgan@ooc.uva.nl

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/04/90)

In article <4730@crystal9.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> There are four different offshoots of V2.3 of TelNet that I now own:
>
> TelNet NCSA 2.3 - The original
> TelNet NCSA 2.3 (MacTCP) - The original with MacTCP support
> TelNet NCSA/BYU 2.3.1 - The original with added support for host FTP,
>                 surgery performed by Bringham Young University.
> TelNet NCSA/BYU 2.3.2 (MacTCP) - The original with support for
> 		host FTP and MacTCP.

In addition, there is also the Brown version which contains IBM 3179
emulation.  I don't know if they have both a MacTCP and nonMacTCP version.
There are also two commercial variants of NCSA.  The original TCP/Connect
and MacPathWay Access.  TCP/Connect was InterCons original product, MacPathWay
Access is being sold by Wollongong (OEMed from InterCon). There is also a
version which contains SLIP that was done by cisco, it's (I think) PD.

I think that there is even one more PD version of NCSA Telnet for the Mac
out there, but I could be confusing it with versions of the IBM code.

It is interesting to see what all has happened with a very good package.
It will also be interesting to see what happens with it in the future.

By the way, does anyone know of anybody who has added any additional terminal
emulations to NCSA besides TN3270 from Brown (and InterCon's commercial stuff)?
It would be interesting to know.  Also while I am at it.  Could people provide
me with a list of the various machines that the PD code can be found on?
I am trying to keep a (ever growing) list of what and where for TCP/IP stuff
on the Mac.

Thanks!
--

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (10/04/90)

In article <4730@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>MacTCP - This feature is, at a simplistic level, a convienence for
>       the macintosh user. The advantage is that the addition of newer
>	MacTCP friendly programs will be easier as they all find their
>	network information in a common spot.

Well, not only do they find their network information in a common spot,
but you can run them AT THE SAME TIME.  I can, for example, run Eudora
(a MacTCP mail package that I like for some strange reason :-)) and NCSA
Telnet MacTCP at the same time, because they both use MacTCP.

This is not possible with the non-MacTCP version of NCSA Telnet or tn3270
or MacIP; with the non-MacTCP versions, it's ONE TCP/IP application at a time.
This is a major inconvenience.

The flip side is, you do have to pay money to Apple for MacTCP.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

hayes@Apple.COM (Jim Hayes) (10/04/90)

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes in article <4730@crystal9.UUCP>:

>MacTCP - This feature is, at a simplistic level, a convienence for
>        the macintosh user.  MacTCP is a CDEV that allows you to
>        set the TCP/IP information for you Macintosh in one spot,
>        i.e. the control panel, instead of within the various
>        applications.  The advantage is that the addition of newer
>	MacTCP friendly programs will be easier as they all find their
>	network information in a common spot.  Other products that
>	use this feature are tn3270 and Gator-Mail (SMTP gateway for
>	MS Mail and QuickMail).

Not exactly.  MacTCP is the complete TCP/IP protocol stack developed
and supported by Apple Computer.  It is a *driver* which means it has a
standard programmatic interface and thus makes developing TCP/IP
applications much easier because the developer doesn't have to include
a home grown (and possibly buggy) TCP/IP stack.  It includes software
to perform Domain Name System host lookups as well.

Vanilla NCSA Telnet contains NCSA's own TCP/IP stack and DNS resolver.
NCSA Telnet for MacTCP uses MacTCP's stack and it's own (argh!) DNS resolver.

Developers should strive to make all their TCP/IP applications use
MacTCP thus insuring performance enhancements and upgrades appear
transparent to the application using them.

--
Jim Hayes, AppleTalk-TCP/IP Weenie
Advanced Technology Group, Apple Computer Inc.

Inet: hayes@apple.com		 UUCP: {amdcad|decwrl|ames}!apple!hayes

honda@csl.sony.co.jp (Yasuaki Honda) (10/04/90)

Some of articles appeared in this newsgroup mentioned Eudora.

>but you can run them AT THE SAME TIME.  I can, for example, run Eudora
>(a MacTCP mail package that I like for some strange reason :-)) and NCSA
>Telnet MacTCP at the same time, because they both use MacTCP.

Could some one give me information about this software, PD or Shareware,
how to get it, ftp site ... ?

--
**************************************
Yasuaki Honda

In article <HONDA.90Oct4123809@scorpio.csl.sony.co.jp> honda@csl.sony.co.jp (Yasuaki Honda) writes:

>Some of articles appeared in this newsgroup mentioned Eudora.
>Could some one give me information about this software, PD or Shareware,
>how to get it, ftp site ... ?

Honest, this wasn't a setup :-).

Eudora is available for anonymous ftp from ux1.cso.uiuc.edu, in the mac/eudora
subdirectory.  It works with MacTCP or the Communications Toolbox (more
smoothly with the former).  Source code is provided.  It is Copyright by
the University of Illinois, but is FREE for anyone to use.

By all means try it out, and tell me what you think.  I'm working on
version 1.2 (1.1 is current), so your feedback can make a difference.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

peter@netlab.cis.brown.edu (Peter DiCamillo) (10/08/90)

The distribution files for Brown's tn3270 do include both MacTCP and non-MacTCP
versions of the program.  The files are available via anonymous FTP to
brownvm.brown.edu, and also from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  Over BITNET the files
can be obtained from LISTSERV@BROWNVM; send LISTSERV the command "list local"
for a list of the files.

Peter DiCamillo, cmsmaint@brownvm.brown.edu