[comp.sys.mac.comm] Data Stream Protocols

dm57+@andrew.cmu.edu (David William Medvitz, Jr.) (10/09/90)

I am looking for a good Data Stream Protocol for use in a program I am
currently writing.  I have seen references to ADSP on the net but have
no Idea on how to implement it.  Any info on this or other protocols
would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Dave

peirce@outpost.UUCP (Michael Peirce) (10/09/90)

In article <Ib4=QmC00VpCI4bEYF@andrew.cmu.edu>, dm57+@andrew.cmu.edu (David William Medvitz, Jr.) writes:

> I am looking for a good Data Stream Protocol for use in a program I am
> currently writing.  I have seen references to ADSP on the net but have
> no Idea on how to implement it.  Any info on this or other protocols
> would be appriciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

ADSP is documented in the new Inside Macintosh Volume VI.  You can
get a preliminary version of this off the Apple System 7 CD-ROM they
gave out at the developer's conference.  I don't know when Inside
Mac VI will *really* come out.

You can also look at Inside AppleTalk Second Edition.  It talks about
ADSP at a lower level - how ADSP works, rather than how to use it.

If you do end up using it, try to track down version 1.5.  It's faster
and such than previous version.

-- michael peirce

--  Michael Peirce         --   {apple,decwrl}!claris!outpost!peirce
--  Peirce Software        --   Suite 301, 719 Hibiscus Place
--  Macintosh Programming  --   San Jose, California 95117
--         and Consulting  --   (408) 244-6554

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (10/10/90)

In article <Ib4=QmC00VpCI4bEYF@andrew.cmu.edu> dm57+@andrew.cmu.edu (David William Medvitz, Jr.) writes:

>I am looking for a good Data Stream Protocol for use in a program I am
>currently writing.  I have seen references to ADSP on the net but have
>no Idea on how to implement it.  Any info on this or other protocols
>would be appriciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Dave

To find out more about ADSP, there is a product available through APDA called:
ADSP: AppleTalk Data Stream Protocol Development Kit, Version 1.0.2
(P/N: C0007LL/B, $25.00).  Included in the kit is the latest version of the
ADSP driver, driver interfaces, and documentation for the driver interface.
To use this kit, you should already be familiar with the AppleTalk protocols
described in the book Inside AppleTalk, Second Edition, published by Addison-
Wesley Publishing Company (APDA P/N: C0078LL/B, $34.95).

You can reach APDA at:
(800) 282-2732 (in the U.S.)
(800) 637-0029 (in Canada)
(408) 562-3910 (International)

or via e-mail at: APDA@applelink.apple.com

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (10/10/90)

In article <b.GMW9ST@outpost.UUCP> peirce@outpost.UUCP writes:

[...]
>You can also look at Inside AppleTalk Second Edition.  It talks about
>ADSP at a lower level - how ADSP works, rather than how to use it.

Is there any currently published book that talks about how to access
all the calls for the protocols IAT talks about in the abstract?

Note if anybody from Addison-Wesley is listening: I really wish IAT
said, somewhere on the flyleaf or something, that it doesn't talk
about Mac calls.  It took me a long time, flipping through, to find
this out (which, since I didn't buy the book--no use without knowing
the calls!--means somebody that did got a slightly worse book).

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| University of Chicago		| A mathematician is a professional	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   schizophrenic.--Me.		       	      |