[comp.sys.mac.comm] VT PRO does EMACS, upgrade info

williams@rsmas.miami.edu (10/12/90)

-------> Version 3.0.1 does.

> -doesn't play nicely under multifinder.  I cant move the
>  tek graphics window out of the way of whatever might be behind it.

-------> 3.0.1, the version I am running,  has a Multifinder Auto Zoom
        feature which takes care of this very nicely

> -can't set the kermit packet size higher than 90

-------> How does 1024 sound to you ? Or, I guess anything in between.
	The Settings menu includes one whole dialog for Kermit options.

I have been using Versaterm-Pro and its predecessor, Versaterm, for about six
years.  It has improved dramatically in that time and anyone running the
original 1. or even 2. version should really consider upgrading.  I am
continually impressed with the new features of Versaterm-Pro.  The latest
version due out sometime this winter will include a hook to the Apple
communications toolbox.  I don't understand all the particulars, but if you are
running Versaterm on a network (with the proper number of legal copies, I
persume), than you will definitely want to look into this.  It could reduce a
great many of your network headaches by providing a consistent user interface
with a flexible network protocol interface.

My only complaint at the moment is that Versaterm-PRO resets both serial ports
on start up (not just, for instance, the modem port).  This upsets a print
spooler if you are printing a job when you start up VT-PRO.  Of course the
answer is to run both under Multifinder, but it still isn't the cleanest
solution.

I do not have any association with Synergy Software (PCS Inc.).  I just happen
to think their product is great for communicating with a VAX or UNIX systems.

E.J. Williams                            INTERNET:   williams@rsmas.miami.edu
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, University of Miami, FL