[comp.sys.mac.comm] Appletalk Problems

ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Nikitas Handrinos) (10/11/90)

We have an appletalk network set up in a passive star configuration.  It
presently has about ten branches.  But here is the problem.  One of the
computers on the network is a CX.  The connection was working fine for a
while, and then after installing Shiva software, the file server and the
laserwriters on the network couldn't be seen.  I then brought an SE/30
up to that office and hooked it up and everything worked fine.  The
ports on the CX were checked and they are working fine.  I have no idea
what is causing the CX to have problems.

The first thing I will do is get the network back into specs be making
it have only six branches, but I don't know why it would be working
before and then not work.  And then, only the CX doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Peter N. Handrinos                                          ph1c@andrew.cmu.edu
Pittsburgh, PA
Carnegie Mellon University         Graduate School of Industrial Administration
     "All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars"

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (10/12/90)

In article <Ib5_DKW00UzxI4JFgd@andrew.cmu.edu> ph1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Peter Nikitas Handrinos) writes:

>The first thing I will do is get the network back into specs be making
>it have only six branches, but I don't know why it would be working
>before and then not work.  And then, only the CX doesn't work.

Last time I read one of the Farallon PhoneNet handbooks, they recommend no more
than 4 branches on a passive star.  When they talk to you in tech support,
the one thing you hear over and over that nets within spec nearly always perform
as expected, but with nets out of spec, all bets are off.

When I first went through wiring up a PhoneNET setup back when they first came
out, I had incredible numbers of problems keeping the net up.  Especially when
our phone people came and tried to wire the net up to a phone system configured
with passive stars branching off passive stars.  One node more or less could
make or break the whole thing.  I always dreaded any new machines coming online.