[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mail, News, FTP, and Telnet over modem.

markp@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Mark Purcell) (10/08/90)

In article <8869@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> epan@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Eric C. Pan) writes:

>  With all the talks of Mail, FTP, News, Telnet.. etc, people are talking of
> direct connection, through a Router, or an Ethernet board right in their mac.
>  My Question is, is there any software availible for you to do it over the
> modem line

One way to do it over a modem line is to utilize a SLIP connection to a
host.  The only macintosh program which allows; Mail, Telnet, ftp, ie
basic implemention of the TCP/IP protocol is the ka9q macintosh project.

The macintosh co-ordinator for the ka9q project is:

	Douglas Thom N6OYU
	Macintosh KA9Q Project Coord
	1405 Grawwood Drive
	San Jose, CA 95 129 4778
	(408) 253 1306
	thom@apple.com

I know the program (MacNet) has been stored at the following sites;

	louie.udel.edu
	apple.com
	col.hp.com

If anyone knows of any other implementations of TCP/IP over SLIP for
the Macintosh I would be very interestered to hear of it, esp a News
iplementation.

Mark
--
Mark Purcell                    ACSNET: markp@runxtsa.runx.oz.au
804/2 Springfield Avenue	X400: (C:AUSTRALIA,PUB:textfile,PVT:oz.au,

kdb@intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/13/90)

In article <2381@runxtsa.runx.oz.au>, markp@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Mark Purcell)
writes:
> One way to do it over a modem line is to utilize a SLIP connection to a
> host.  The only macintosh program which allows; Mail, Telnet, ftp, ie
> basic implemention of the TCP/IP protocol is the ka9q macintosh project.

This is not really true.  InterCon has a product that does all of the above
over SLIP and soon over PPP.  Just to let you know.

Kurt
--
Kurt Baumann
InterCon Systems Corporation