[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mac/Gnuucp dialing problems

pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (10/15/90)

I am trying to use the Mac/Gnuucp software on an SE/30 with 8M and can't get
it to dial my hayes-compatible modem, noway, nohow, on either the modem or
printer ports. (I'd prefer to use the latter)  I also use MacLayers and this
program has no problems dialing my modem on either port.  Any body else
have a problem with this software like this?

--
     Peter Schmitt					UNIX/VMS Consultant
Kiewit Computation Center				Computing  Services

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (10/16/90)

In article <25124@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU>, pete@othello.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
> I am trying to use the Mac/Gnuucp software on an SE/30 with 8M and can't get
> it to dial my hayes-compatible modem, noway, nohow, on either the modem or...

I had the same problem with my Plus. The code doesn't disable hardware hand-
shaking. Since I have a cable that supports carrier detect, I turned over
the modem and set the dip switch to "carrier detect always on."

I've also noticed that the program crashes if the number is too long, as in
if you add a credit card charge number to the dial string. Also, it's best
to let the program dial the modem, supplying the phone number, rather than
trying to put together expect/send pairs.

Hope this helps.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP