[comp.sys.mac.comm] MacTcp, IP numbers, etc...

hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) (10/15/90)

I am sort of new to the thought of all this TCP/IP stuff.  I am able
to get about quite freely on the net using NCSA Telnet 2.3 (great
package!) as my mac is hooked up to the Internet backbone.  When I am
at home, I have tried to use the NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 without too much
success.  It tends to lock up on me if I get too big a packet (i.e. if
I do a ls-al and the directory happens to be particularily big, the
program locks up.)  1st question, why does this happen?

2nd question.  I would like to FTP to my mac hooked to the backbone
from my mac at home.  How can I do this? (Do I leave my NCSA Telnet
running so I can have an IP number assigned to the work mac?  Is there
another program that will assign an IP number to my mac?)  Do I need
to do anything special to retrieve stuff from my mac?

Any response would be appreciated.  Please email me directly.

Thanks,

Charles

--
!===========================================================================!
! Charles H. Hemstreet IV       !internet: hemstree@handel.cs.Colostate.Edu !

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (10/16/90)

In article <HEMSTREE.90Oct15021956@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu>
hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) writes:
> I am sort of new to the thought of all this TCP/IP stuff.  I am able
> to get about quite freely on the net using NCSA Telnet 2.3 (great
> package!) as my mac is hooked up to the Internet backbone.  When I am
> at home, I have tried to use the NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 without too much
> success.  It tends to lock up on me if I get too big a packet (i.e. if
> I do a ls-al and the directory happens to be particularily big, the
> program locks up.)  1st question, why does this happen?

How do you run BYU Telnet 2.3.2 (e.g. NCSA 2.3.2) from home?  Do you have
the cisco version hacked for SLIP support and dial-in through a terminal
server?  If so, your problem could be due to using a high-speed compression modem without the handshaking properly set.

> 2nd question.  I would like to FTP to my mac hooked to the backbone
> from my mac at home.  How can I do this? (Do I leave my NCSA Telnet
> running so I can have an IP number assigned to the work mac?

yes.

> Is there another program that will assign an IP number to my mac?)

It's not just an IP number that you need on your mac, but a complete FTP
server.  Running NCSA telnet on your mac on the backbone will give you
such a server.

> Do I need to do anything special to retrieve stuff from my mac?

You'll need an FTP client at home.  If you're running cisco's hacked NCSA
telnet which supports SLIP, you'll have an FTP client.  Unless you're just
transferring text files you'll need the FTP server, at least, to support
mac file encoding.  NCSA 2.3.x supports automatic encoding of the binary
file transfers into Macbinary.  You can set it as the default under the
EDIT menu, or turn it on remote by sending a "macb" command to the Mac FTP
server.

At the home end, where the FTP client is located, you can get by without
automatic Macbinary decoding, just use Binhex 5.0.  If you're using NCSA
2.3.x, you can set the FTP client to automatically decode Macbinary files
received during a binary FTP.

Ben Schmidt              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information Technology     P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283
bschmidt@bnr.ca         Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/90)

/* Written  3:16 pm  Oct 15, 1990 by bschmidt@bnr.ca in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.comm */
In article <HEMSTREE.90Oct15021956@handel.handel.CS.Colostate.Edu>
hemstree@handel.CS.Colostate.Edu (charles he hemstreet) writes:
> I am sort of new to the thought of all this TCP/IP stuff.  I am able
> to get about quite freely on the net using NCSA Telnet 2.3 (great
> package!) as my mac is hooked up to the Internet backbone.  When I am
> at home, I have tried to use the NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 without too much
> success.  It tends to lock up on me if I get too big a packet (i.e. if
> I do a ls-al and the directory happens to be particularily big, the
> program locks up.)  1st question, why does this happen?

How do you run BYU Telnet 2.3.2 (e.g. NCSA 2.3.2) from home?  Do you have
the cisco version hacked for SLIP support and dial-in through a terminal
server?  If so, your problem could be due to using a high-speed compression modem without the handshaking properly set.

> 2nd question.  I would like to FTP to my mac hooked to the backbone
> from my mac at home.  How can I do this? (Do I leave my NCSA Telnet
> running so I can have an IP number assigned to the work mac?

yes.

> Is there another program that will assign an IP number to my mac?)

It's not just an IP number that you need on your mac, but a complete FTP
server.  Running NCSA telnet on your mac on the backbone will give you
such a server.

> Do I need to do anything special to retrieve stuff from my mac?

You'll need an FTP client at home.  If you're running cisco's hacked NCSA
telnet which supports SLIP, you'll have an FTP client.  Unless you're just
transferring text files you'll need the FTP server, at least, to support
mac file encoding.  NCSA 2.3.x supports automatic encoding of the binary
file transfers into Macbinary.  You can set it as the default under the
EDIT menu, or turn it on remote by sending a "macb" command to the Mac FTP
server.

At the home end, where the FTP client is located, you can get by without
automatic Macbinary decoding, just use Binhex 5.0.  If you're using NCSA
2.3.x, you can set the FTP client to automatically decode Macbinary files
received during a binary FTP.

Ben Schmidt              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information Technology     P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283
bschmidt@bnr.ca         Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.comm */