[comp.sys.mac.comm] How to connect Apple //c & SE/30 ?

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (09/24/90)

Does anyone have any suggestions about transfering files from an Apple //c
to a Mac (SE/30)?  One option I thought about was using a pair of modems
connected together by a simple phone cord (will this work?).  The better
way would really be to have some sort of direct connection between the
serial ports -- the modems I would use for the first option would be
2400baud, but I think the //c serial port can directly handle up to
19,200 baud (I think).

Any thoughts?  Please respond by e-mail.  Thanks in advance.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \

ghhsmith@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (G.H.H Smith) (09/27/90)

>Does anyone have any suggestions about transfering files from an Apple //c
>to a Mac (SE/30)?  One option I thought about was using a pair of modems
>connected together by a simple phone cord (will this work?).  The better
>way would really be to have some sort of direct connection between the
>serial ports -- the modems I would use for the first option would be
>2400baud, but I think the //c serial port can directly handle up to
>19,200 baud (I think).

Two solutions :-
First, the Apple IIC to Imagewritter II cable can be used to connect the
two serial ports of the computers. Files can then be transferred using a
communication program on each machine.

Secondly, if the Apple IIc has a 3 1/2 " prodos drive attached, then the
Mac's can read this format using the Apple file exchange program (included
with the system files).

ACSnet: ghhsmith@runx			CSNET:	ghhsmith@runxtsa.runx.oz
ARPA:	ghhsmith%runxtsa.runx.oz@seismo.css.gov
JANET:  runxtsa.runx.oz!ghhsmith@ukc
UUCP:	{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runxtsa.runx.oz!ghhsmith

dhom@spica.acs.calpoly.edu (David Hom) (09/28/90)

In article <2313@runxtsa.runx.oz.au> ghhsmith@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (G.H.H Smith) writes:

>>Does anyone have any suggestions about transfering files from an Apple //c
>>to a Mac (SE/30)?  One option I thought about was using a pair of modems
>>  [stuff deleted]
>
>Secondly, if the Apple IIc has a 3 1/2 " prodos drive attached, then the
>Mac's can read this format using the Apple file exchange program (included
>with the system files).

Better yet,  If you do have a 3.5 diskdrive attatched,  use Chan Wilson's
A2FX or HFSLink (forgot the author of this one)  to directly read a HFS
disk.  A2FX transfers data fork, resource fork, or both as an Apple Single,
or Apple Double file.  A2FX is available by anonymous FTP from several sites.

Dave
dhom@cosmos.acs.calpoly.edu

uncacj@uncecs.edu (Charles G. James Jr.) (10/20/90)

In article <95000001@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu>, johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anyone have any suggestions about transfering files from an Apple //c
> to a Mac (SE/30)?  One option I thought about was using a pair of modems

I'm sure this has been suggested by now..
     I tried a direct connection between the modemscommunication ports in the
backs of the Apple //c and SE/30. The ones with the telephone symbol.
I used the cable that was used between my Apple //c and a Imagewritter
printer. The small enedd fits the SE/30. I used Kermit on the Apple // c
and Versaterm-Porros kermit on the mac. Make sure both are useing the same
baud rate.

--
Charles G. James, Jr.
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Asheville