[comp.sys.mac.comm] UUCP and NEWS on the Mac

geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) (10/20/90)

Crossposting to comp.sys.mac.comm, followups directed there.

And vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) responded:
>	Well, in spite of the glowing comments I've heard from some
>of the Beta testers, I doubt that I'll be getting it.

Same here.  As I recall, when Tim asked for beta testers for this, he
also asked if he should release it as shareware or very cheap commercial
product (like, $20).  Response was such that people wanted support from
him, even if it meant paying more.  I was expecting something along
these lines, but $300 (discounted)?  No thanks!

>	Look at it this way:  If I want news on my Mac (I already have
>mail.  All that took was the time to FTP it and tinker a bit.  I'll
>be looking at the GNU port soon as well.  Both are free and come with
>source.) and I have much more than a Plus, then for less than $100
>more than ICE wants for uAccess I can have AUX or one of the Mach ports,
>which gives me access to mail and news as well as a host of other things.
>(Note: I tend to think in terms of University pricing because I can.)

I've been wondering about Minix.  If Minix can run uucp, news and mail,
then that's definitely the cost-conscious way to go.

>	Now, I'm a fairly knowledgable user, so I'm not afraid of
>programs I can't just plug and play, but I know a lot of people who
>will only use stuff they can use as a package.  Is there a market
>amoungst this type of user for a mail/news link?  I guess ICE is
>betting that there is, and that they are a well-heeled bunch as well.
>The communications I've had with them (ok, Tim is the only one.  Is he
>the only person there?) gives me the impression that they are nice
>folks, and for that reason alone I wish them luck.  But I don't think
>I can afford to patronize them...

Yeah.  Seems to me that there's a *much* smaller market for this than
for, say, CompuServe Navigator, and I doubt how many copies of Navigator
you'd sell at $395 list.

--
Geoff Allen         \  Computers are useless.
uunet!pmafire!geoff  \  They can only give you answers.

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct19.205526.19190@pmafire.UUCP>, geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
> >	Well, in spite of the glowing comments I've heard from some
> >of the Beta testers, I doubt that I'll be getting it.
>
> Same here.  As I recall, when Tim asked for beta testers for this, he
> also asked if he should release it as shareware or very cheap commercial
> product (like, $20).  Response was such that people wanted support from
> him, even if it meant paying more.  I was expecting something along
> these lines, but $300 (discounted)?  No thanks!

Well, I guess I can shed some light on the pricing.
When I originally posted to the net, as you have indicated, I asked
if the product should be PD, SHW, or Commercial. Shortly after that
posting, it became obvious that there was a commercial market for
this product, and that market wanted a commercial product. What I
mean to say is that a number of businesses and at home consultants
wanted software they could rely upon, as to them it was a business
tool and not entertainment software.

In order to create *and support* a commercial product of this magnitude,
and make all of the necessary distribution channels happy (there is
a large part of the price), the list price had to be in the range it is
now. Otherwise, you may as well forget being successful in that arena.
I must admit that the only response I have received on the price from
the commercial market was that it was low and continued support was
questioned.

What this means is that a large segment of the users that I originally
wished to market to would be left behind. There was no business decision
that could rectify this circumstance. Hopefully, I can help this situation
out down the road.

The plan, although it will take some time, is to produce a copy
of the application for the "limited-budget" croud. This would simply
leave out some of the more luxury features (like the ability to
forward news to other sites) and bring the discounted price down
into the $99-150 range. This would address the needs of the at home
and educational users much better.

You have to remember the costs involved in ramping up a new product
and realize that after the first few waves of distribution the costs
come down making it easier to produce and sell for the lower price
market.

I must make one other comment, and thank people for not getting into
huge flames about our making the commercial product decision. It was
a difficult decision to make, as my heart is in PD software, but one
must occasionally play by the capitalist rules which govern.

Thank you for your time,
tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uunet!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

phil@shl.uucp (Phil Trubey) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct19.205526.19190@pmafire.UUCP> geoff@pmafire.UUCP (Geoff Allen) writes:
>Yeah.  Seems to me that there's a *much* smaller market for this than
>for, say, CompuServe Navigator, and I doubt how many copies of Navigator
>you'd sell at $395 list.

But CompuServe can subsidize the cost and support for Navigator with
all the future revenue they will be getting from on-line connection
charges.  CompuServe could give away Navigator and still make money.

And you're right, it is a smaller market (maybe, see below) so they
have to charge more to recoup development costs.

Don't get me wrong, I also think $395 is *way* too expensive.  I am not
too sure which target market ICE is going after with a $395 price tag.
Current usenet readers?  Who are they?  (Good question: does anyone
know whether an attempt has been made to classify the types of people
of read usenet?  ie. undergrad students, working for a research company,
working for a profit making company, private connection from home, etc.)
I could be wrong but I would think that most usenet users would have
to spring for uAccess out their own entertainment pocket money.

I asked Tim of ICE that question a little while back and haven't received a
reply.  Which maybe just means I was too nosy.

I don't know if it has occured to anyone else, but somthing like
uAccess has potentially a much larger target market if it sold right.
It could be sold head to head with Microsoft Mail, and all the other
Mac e-mail packages that businesses are snapping up.  It has much
better WAN support than these packages have and it has great conferencing
abilities to boot.  As far as I know, the Mac market is devoid of
good conferencing programs...

Which would make the $395 price tag realistic...
--
Phil Trubey
(UUCP: ...!uunet!shl!phil)

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/23/90)

Allen) writes:
> Yeah.  Seems to me that there's a *much* smaller market for this than
> for, say, CompuServe Navigator, and I doubt how many copies of Navigator
> you'd sell at $395 list.

Well, I guess that is what happens when you look at things from the University
outlook.  Not, mind you, that I am saying that looking at things that way
is bad.

We sell a $495 TCP/IP product (we also have $195 and $295 versions) commercially,
and we sell a fair number of them, enough that we can support 6-8 people
and their eating habits. :-)  Support does not come cheap, no one works for
peanuts, companies are set up to make money.  These are just a few of the
things that end up creating a "high" list price for software.  It also might
be pointed out that most, if not all, companies offer reasonable educational
discounts, I know we do.

Today, it is a much smaller market than say Navigator (ugly though it is).
That is yet another reason that this type of software costs more.  If I could
sell +1 million copies of my package I could price it for much less than
$495.  But the market is not that large right now, it is growing, but there
is no where near 1 million Macs on networks right now...  So...

Any price you pick for software is going to loose some people from your potential
client list.  Unfortunatly when the market is small to begin with you end
up having to charge more, or not bother even getting into the market.  I
say good luck to these guys (if there is more than one :-)).

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products