[comp.sys.mac.comm] Shared laser hanging off AppleShare server?

phil@shl.uucp (Phil Trubey) (10/16/90)

The Subject pretty well says it all:  Can you attach a LaserWriter
directly to an AppleShare server (either through serial, LocalTalk, SCSI?)
and have it act as a shared printer for the EtherTalk network that all
the AppleShare client machines and the AppleShare server itself are
connected to?

Thanks.

--
Phil Trubey
(UUCP: ...!uunet!shl!phil)

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.172356.29359@shl.uucp> phil@shl.uucp (Phil Trubey) writes:
>The Subject pretty well says it all:  Can you attach a LaserWriter
>directly to an AppleShare server (either through serial, LocalTalk, SCSI?)
>and have it act as a shared printer for the EtherTalk network that all
>the AppleShare client machines and the AppleShare server itself are
>connected to?

Yes, if you use a product like Apple's Internet Router or Farallon's
Liason to convert your EtherTalk packets to LocalTalk packets.  Both of
them work quite well, and with Liason you get the added capability to
remotely access your local network over phone lines.

 An alternative would be to use Dayna's EtherPrint box to interface
 between your network and printer.

  Which one you choose depends upon your religious convictions regarding
  hardware vs. software :-).

   John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

scott@scotty (Scott Howard) (10/16/90)

Make that one vote for Liason- we use it to share Laserwriters
around our department and have had no compatibility problems
or detectable degradation in performance whatsoever.

The best part is we get to use the 1K for something else, like
buying bright new shiny toys for the graduate students. ;-)

phil@shl.uucp (Phil Trubey) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct15.181228.2320@agate.berkeley.edu> bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) writes:
>In article <1990Oct15.172356.29359@shl.uucp> phil@shl.uucp (Phil Trubey) writes:
>>Can you attach a LaserWriter
>>directly to an AppleShare server (either through serial, LocalTalk, SCSI?)
>>and have it act as a shared printer for the EtherTalk network that all
>>the AppleShare client machines and the AppleShare server itself are
>>connected to?
>>

>Yes, if you use a product like Apple's Internet Router or Farallon's
>Liason to convert your EtherTalk packets to LocalTalk packets.  Both of
>them work quite well, and with Liason you get the added capability to
>remotely access your local network over phone lines.

Can you run Liason in the background and AppleShare in the foreground
on the same Mac?  ie.  I'm looking for a way to not dedicate a Mac for
Ethernet - Localtalk routing.
--
Phil Trubey
(UUCP: ...!uunet!shl!phil)

scott@scotty (Scott Howard) (10/18/90)

Yes, you can run Liason on your machine and still subscribe to Appleshare
or AFP compatible servers.

Dayna has an interesting new product adverstised in the latest version
of MacWeek that seems to do the job of Liason, except in Hardware-
it has a list around $400-$500.

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct18.010056.7222@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
scott@scotty (Scott Howard) writes:
>Yes, you can run Liason on your machine and still subscribe to Appleshare
>or AFP compatible servers.

Not what he asked...
The answer is yes, you can run Liason or the InterNet Router on an AppleShare
Server. (Presumably, you'll also want to run the Laser Spooler on this same
Mac. I'm doing this at several clients' sites.)

Liason 2.0.x had some problems running on AppleShare servers, in a few odd
cases. The just-released 3.0 should be completely clean, though. Farallon
ran a very extensive beta test program.

>Dayna has an interesting new product adverstised in the latest version
>of MacWeek that seems to do the job of Liason, except in Hardware-
>it has a list around $400-$500.

No, it doesn't. It will connect _one_ LaserWriter to an ethernet. It's a
workable but not particularly nice solution.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis