[comp.sys.mac.comm] Macintosh and GNU UUCP - Help !

rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (10/20/90)

Hi,

	I'm having trouble getting the GNU implimentation of UUCP working
on my Macintosh SE/30.

	The config files are all set up according to the documentation.
The test mailing within my local host worked just fine.

	When I went to actually dial the off site host this is what I
got:

gnuucp log on tty '' starting 10/19-21:50:29-57
- gnuucp (10/19-21:50:29-57) GNUUCP (Version Fort Pond Research-2.6)
Munge_filename  input: Rmail.
Munge_filename output: Rmail.
Work prefix is ==
work_look readdir gnuucp.log
work_look readdir null
Opening outgoing line .A2400
Trying muun .A2400 0
dialing .A2400 at 2400 baud: ATV1DT 529-6114
Wrote:  41A 54T 56V 311 44D 54T 20  355 322 399 2d- 366 311 311 344 0d

After the last line the machine hung.  When the modem was turned off the
control was returned and I could quit from Mac/uucp.

Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong?  I'm at a loss.

			Thanks in advance.

--
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Rob Pickering

internet:  pickerin@apsvax.aps.muohio.edu      \ Preferred
           rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu   /
bitnet  :  pickerin@miamiu.bitnet              - Not bad
NeXT: pickerin@next4.acs.muohio.edu            - Don't read, but there's voice

"If you didn't know me would you think I was a stranger?"     -Steven Wright
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (10/23/90)

In article <2660.271f7655@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>	I'm having trouble getting the GNU implimentation of UUCP working
>on my Macintosh SE/30.

	GNU doesn't support it's software on Apple computers.

---
Michael R. Almond                                  mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				    emory.edu!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'. Georgia Tech Alumnus .'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.

gall@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Norm Gall) (10/23/90)

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:

| In article <2660.271f7655@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
| >	I'm having trouble getting the GNU implimentation of UUCP working
| >on my Macintosh SE/30.

| 	GNU doesn't support it's software on Apple computers.

So, what's your point?  The person was looking for support from us,
not gnu.

norm gall
--
"It is not the task of philosophy to affirm or deny the existence of
things, but rather to clarify what assertions or denials of existence

Douglas.Welch@p7.f823.n102.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Douglas Welch) (10/23/90)

> Hi,
>
>         I'm having trouble getting the GNU implimentation of UUCP working
> on my Macintosh SE/30.
>
>         The config files are all set up according to the documentation.
> The test mailing within my local host worked just fine.
>
>         When I went to actually dial the off site host this is what I

> <****  Excess was deleted *****>
>
> After the last line the machine hung.  When the modem was turned off the
> control was returned and I could quit from Mac/uucp.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong?  I'm at a loss.
>
>                         Thanks in advance.

Rob,

I expereienced the same thing and have mailed Jim @ fpr.com to try and get a
solution.  If you hear anything, please let me know!

Doug Welch In Van Nuys, CA
Tuesday, October 23, 1990 9:31 AM

tecstar!dewelch@stb.info.com
stb.info.com!tecstar!dewelch

--
Douglas Welch via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!102!823.7!Douglas.Welch

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (10/23/90)

In article <271@srchtec.UUCP> mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:
>	GNU doesn't support it's software on Apple computers.

What's your point?  He wasn't asking the GNU project for support.  He
was asking for help from the readers of this newsgroup, who are the
people most likely to be able to give him a hand.

Get a grip.
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

rus@io.UUCP (Russell Sheptak) (10/24/90)

In article <271@srchtec.UUCP>, mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:
> In article <2660.271f7655@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
> >	I'm having trouble getting the GNU implimentation of UUCP working
> >on my Macintosh SE/30.
>
> 	GNU doesn't support it's software on Apple computers.
> ---
> Michael R. Almond                              mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)

Michael, just because the Free Software Foundation doesn't support
porting to Apple platforms does not mean people shouldn't do it!

Like many of the more useful GNU tools, GNU uucp has been ported to
the mac already. Copies of the binhexed binary and source can be
found on Sumex (for those of you with FTP capabilities) or
available via mail based servers from Rice (listserv@ricevm1.rice.edu)
or UC Irvine (archive-server@ics.uci.edu).

rus

Disclaimer:  Its only my opinion!
UUCP: {decvax,pyramid,sequent}sun!sunne!ileaf!rus   Rus Sheptak
      mit-eddie!ileaf!rus			    Interleaf, Inc.
INTERNET: rus@ileaf.com				    10 Canal Park
SNAIL:  42 Blue Hill Terrace, Milton, MA 02186      Cambridge, MA 02141
"a home computer: One that ignores input from pets" Johan Vromans (jv@mh.nl)

odell@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) (10/25/90)

In article <271@srchtec.UUCP> mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:
>In article <2660.271f7655@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>>	I'm having trouble getting the GNU implimentation of UUCP working
>>on my Macintosh SE/30.
>
>	GNU doesn't support it's software on Apple computers.
>

>---
No, they don't but I have taken the GNUUCP sources and proted them to
the Mac. I would like very much to make it a reliable easy to use
method of sending internet mail from the Macintosh. I use it at home
for all of my correspondence and have been doing so for at least
6 months now.

We have a Mac/gnuucp mailing list and several people are working on
enhancements to the code. Version 3.x will be available soon.

Please direct questions and problems to
jim@fpr.com

Thanks

jsl@barn.COM (John Labovitz) (10/25/90)

In article <2660.271f7655@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
> 	I'm having trouble getting the GNU implimentation of UUCP working
> on my Macintosh SE/30.
> [...]
> After the last line the machine hung.  When the modem was turned off the
> control was returned and I could quit from Mac/uucp.

This *might* have something to do with hardware flow control.
Sometimes I've seen the case where the serial driver will not send or
receive data until one of the control lines (RTS? CTS? CD?) is held
high.  And I've seen modems that will do fine in command (AT...) mode,
but as soon as you issue a dial command, if some control line is not
held high, it will *drop* another control line -- perhaps the one that
the serial driver is waiting for.  I know, this sounds confusing, and
it is.  I'm sorry I can't offer any more hard details, but maybe this
will get you somewhere.  I don't remember if the GNU/Mac code turns on
flow control in the serial driver, but if it does, perhaps it
shouldn't.

And to your other "helper":

In article <271@srchtec.UUCP>, mra@srchtec.UUCP writes:
>In article <2660.271f7655@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> rapickering@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>>	I'm having trouble getting the GNU implimentation of UUCP working
>>on my Macintosh SE/30.
>
>	GNU doesn't support it's software on Apple computers.

Thanks, guy, for such a wonderful, helpful reply.  I'm sure you helped
Rob immensely.  Do you work for FSF, or are you this way naturally?
--
John Labovitz		Domain: jsl@barn.com		Phone: 707/823-2919
Barn Communications	UUCP:   ..!pacbell!barn!jsl