[comp.sys.mac.comm] Trouble with AppleShare

elk@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (Edwin L King) (10/06/90)

  Help. We just got AppleShare File Server and AppleShare Print Server
at my office and we're having some problems.

  In no particular order:

------------
  1. We run a pretty open shop, so we don't have too much need for
security. So all I did was setup a logon for each machine, so it would
automouny the volumes we use most.
  The problem is that AppleShare makes new folders private by default.
I have a bunch of people who are probably never going to remember to
reset their permissions every time they create a folder. Nor would I
want them to. We create a lot of folders -- we run a Visionary color
system and package our EPS and other graphics format files together
with the pages they go with so nearly every page has its own folder.
  What I could do, and I will do it if I get no other solution, is
just to make all the machines auto logon as Guest.

  However, I liked having a different logon for each machine so I
could quickly look at the Server screen and see what machines were
logged on.

 You'd think there was some simple way of changing the default
permissions for new folders. but it doesn't look like there is.
  So how about a hard way? Are the permissions contained in a resource
I can modify with resedit? Or is there some kind of patch I can do so
that a folder defualts to Group or Everyone permission?

------------
  2. the copy protect bit is mysteriously set on some of our files. I
didn't do it. Nobody else could have. We're wondering if it is going
to keep happening, or if it is just a fluke. Is ther some application
out there that recklessly sets the AppleShare copy-protect bit on a
file?
  Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

---------------
  3. Our Print Server crashed twice in a row this evening while trying
to print a Visionary page (read that 'modified Quark XPRess') to a
Varityper VT600W.
  Now, the Varityper always has been flaky. But how about AppleShare
Print Server? I would expect it to react a little more gracefully.
especially since it is sharing a Mac with our fileserver!
  I really don't know much about AppleShare Print Server's reputation.
Is it known for bombing?

  Any help or advice anyone can give on any of these issues would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (10/07/90)

In article <84473@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> elk@python.cis.ohio-state.edu
(Edwin L King) writes:
>   The problem is that AppleShare makes new folders private by default.
> I have a bunch of people who are probably never going to remember to
> reset their permissions every time they create a folder. Nor would I
> want them to. We create a lot of folders -- we run a Visionary color
> system and package our EPS and other graphics format files together
> with the pages they go with so nearly every page has its own folder.
>   What I could do, and I will do it if I get no other solution, is
> just to make all the machines auto logon as Guest.
>
>   However, I liked having a different logon for each machine so I
> could quickly look at the Server screen and see what machines were
> logged on.
>
>  You'd think there was some simple way of changing the default
> permissions for new folders. but it doesn't look like there is.
>   So how about a hard way? Are the permissions contained in a resource
> I can modify with resedit? Or is there some kind of patch I can do so
> that a folder defualts to Group or Everyone permission?

Use CE software's cdev, FolderShare.  It allows you to set default
privileges on any new folder you create on an AppleShare fileserver.
Believe it's freeware (got mine from my Apple rep), but CE also bundles it
with some of their software such as the Mock Utilities.

Ben Schmidt              Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.    Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information Technology     P.O. Box 3511, Station C      FAX:(613) 763-3283
bschmidt@bnr.ca         Ottawa Ontario Canada K1Y 4H7

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (10/27/90)

elk@python.cis.ohio-state.edu (Edwin L King) asks how to set up AppleShare
so that newly created folders have access privs other than owner-all, group-
and-world-none.

The answer is: Get FolderShare from CE Software. It does what you want.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis