[comp.sys.mac.comm] Needed: Mac BBS program

bkuo@aludra.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (10/28/90)

Just offhand, names and facts:
 Red Ryder Host (now Second Sight) by Scott Watson, 2 lines under MF
 Hermes by WP Frank, 2 lines w/o MF (under the same program)
 WWIV by Terry Teague, 2 lines under MF
 FBBS by Fernando Borcel
 Mansion

There's a few more, but I don't think any have the source available (but
you can use the MS-DOS source of WWIV...) BBS programs for the Mac
are few and far between, don't have source, etc...

Benjamin Kuo

scott@scotty (Scott Howard) (10/29/90)

david@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David Bainbridge) writes:

> Most sysops
>who seriously want to have a mac-related board and multi-line support use
>IBM's where there are dozens of supported BBS programs to choose from.

No arguement with that here, just that the original poster wanted to run it on
a Mac Plus.

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (10/30/90)

From article <1990Oct26.235940.21724@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, by fseipel@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Frank E. Seipel):

>  I need a Macintosh BBS program. I have a plus, with 100 mb of storage.
> I would prefer a program capable of taking two calls at once using both
> RS232 ports. What is most important, though, is that I have source code
> to the BBS program and that the source code be in some high level
> language (or at least most of it). If you know of such a program, or any
> good BBS programs, please tell me the name of the program and WHERE I CAN
> GET IT. Thanks in advance.

I recommend 1stBBS from 1stDesk Systems. (800-522-2286) 7 Industrial Park
Rd., Medway, MA 02053.  There BBS system is designed to operate 2 lines
and will run on the hardware you describe.  It's SRP is, I believe $200.
If you are running the BBS for a users group, you should discuss this with
them.  1stDesk Systems has a whole line of software designed to run with
their BBS.  Check out their add in ThomCat at your local library or
a purchasing agent you may know.

Their software is not some re-write of an apple or PC system.  It's user
software, a special application with buttons and menus, is one of the
best I've seen.

I am not employed by 1stDesk, nor do I make any profit from the endorsment.

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu