[comp.sys.mac.comm] Novice Question...

gck6910@cec2.wustl.edu (Geoffrey Charles Kinnel) (10/30/90)

	I was wondering if there was an easier way to do what I do.  If I want
to download a file from, for example, sumex, I ftp it to my unix host, a Sun
something or other, via a terminal at school.  Then I drive home and crank
up the old 1200 baud modem  (usually at 300 baud because the connection stinks) and wait around for hours at a time while Kermit slogs its way through the file.
With this talk of NCSA telnet, is there a better way?
	I don't have ethernet access to the Sun that I know of.
	This is a huge problem with big (300+ Kb) files which take hours
to download.
	Any help is appreciated.
Geoff

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct29.233653.4791@cec1.wustl.edu> gck6910@cec2.wustl.edu (Geoffrey Charles Kinnel) writes:

>	I was wondering if there was an easier way to do what I do.  If I want
>to download a file from, for example, sumex, I ftp it to my unix host, a Sun
>something or other, via a terminal at school.  Then I drive home and crank
>up the old 1200 baud modem  (usually at 300 baud because the connection stinks) and wait around for hours at a time while Kermit slogs its way through the file.
>With this talk of NCSA telnet, is there a better way?
>	I don't have ethernet access to the Sun that I know of.
>	This is a huge problem with big (300+ Kb) files which take hours
>to download.
>	Any help is appreciated.
>Geoff

Well, are there ports you can connect to, in your lab?  (RS232 or similar)?
If so, then all you have to do is bring your Mac with you, and plug it in
and transfer away, at high baud rates of course!  Or, just use a Mac that's
already hooked up to a port, and bring disks with you.  Other than that, I
can't think of anything else.  (I guess, just let people know NOT to try
calling you one particular night, bring a TV and VCR and snack foods nexto
to your computer, and sit down and watch a couple movies...)

Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."