[comp.sys.mac.comm] Connecting to a network

esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran) (10/31/90)

I live in a university where my room is about 100 feet away from
a small appletalk network connected to a laserprinter, and shortly
to ethernet.  I am very interested in somehow connecting my computer
to this network.  I have been told that appletalk cable will be useless
at such distances.  Is this true?  Also I have seen commercials for
PhoneNet which should let me do this.  What is the safest and
_cheapest_ way for me to do this.

Thanks,
Eran Shtiegman
Email: esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu

In article <10130@ur-cc.UUCP> esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran) writes:
>I live in a university where my room is about 100 feet away from
>a small appletalk network connected to a laserprinter, and shortly
>to ethernet.  I am very interested in somehow connecting my computer
>to this network.  I have been told that appletalk cable will be useless
>at such distances.  Is this true?  Also I have seen commercials for
>PhoneNet which should let me do this.  What is the safest and
>_cheapest_ way for me to do this.

I've run around 100 ft (maybe 75-80) of Appletalk cable with no problem at
all.  PhoneNet will be cheaper, probably, as phone cord is far cheaper than
Appletalk cord.  Note that if you are going to be going through air spaces,
fire codes require you to use plenum-rated cable, which is significantly
more expensive.  (if you use PhoneNet, you will need a phonenet-to-appletalk
thing at the other end-- you should factor this into the cost.  I seem to
remember 100 ft of phone cable being around $4)

Tax the rich, and feed the poor -- until there are, rich no more.