[comp.sys.mac.comm] using direct connection when an internal modem is installed

ciancarini-paolo@cs.yale.edu (paolo ciancarini) (10/30/90)

I have a macportable with an internal modem.
I would like to use the 8-pin serial port
for a direct connection to my Sun.
Hovever, that port seems to be automatically disabled
when an internal modem is on board.
Is there anyway of enabling that port
keeping the modem in its place?
Thank you for any suggestion

Paolo Ciancarini

houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Jean-Marie Houle) (11/01/90)

In article <26969@cs.yale.edu> ciancarini-paolo@cs.yale.edu (paolo
ciancarini) writes:
> I have a macportable with an internal modem.
> I would like to use the 8-pin serial port
> for a direct connection to my Sun.
> Hovever, that port seems to be automatically disabled
> when an internal modem is on board.
> Is there anyway of enabling that port
> keeping the modem in its place?
> Thank you for any suggestion

You can bypass the internal modem by selecting the "Portable" CDEV in the
Control Panel.
There is a control for that.

Jean-Marie Houle                                  houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec              Tel (514) 652-8083
1800 Mtee Ste Julie                               Fax (514) 652-8435
Varennes, Quebec
Canada, J3X 1S1

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/01/90)

In article <26969@cs.yale.edu> ciancarini-paolo@cs.yale.edu (paolo ciancarini) writes:
>I have a macportable with an internal modem.
>I would like to use the 8-pin serial port
>for a direct connection to my Sun.
>Hovever, that port seems to be automatically disabled
>when an internal modem is on board.

You're supposed to be able to do it through the Control Panel.

On the other hand, we have a Portable at work, with no internal
modem, and it still cannot connect to a direct wire.

I think there may be a problem with the modem port on Portables.
The changes notice for 6.0.7 mentions fixing a problem with
recognising the internal modem. Could it really relate to
recognising the external port?

>Paolo Ciancarini

jim
--