[comp.sys.mac.comm] Comm toolbox with Appletalk

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (11/06/90)

I don't know too much about the inner workings of the Comm Toolbox, but
would it be possible, or are there already tools to allow the use of
Appletalk as a communications device?

Okay, let's have an example: Let's say I have a BBS that supports the Toolbox
at least to the extent that it will support those drivers for nubus cards
and stuff. Well, have a tool to plug in as a line on the BBS, the Appletalk
connection.

Then on some other computer in the network, a Mac running some term program
that supports the Comm Toolbox. It could use the same tool to connect
to the BBS.

Make any sense? Comments?

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

rneville@Apple.COM (Robert Neville) (11/06/90)

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:

>I don't know too much about the inner workings of the Comm Toolbox, but
>would it be possible, or are there already tools to allow the use of
>Appletalk as a communications device?

>Okay, let's have an example: Let's say I have a BBS that supports the Toolbox
>at least to the extent that it will support those drivers for nubus cards
>and stuff. Well, have a tool to plug in as a line on the BBS, the Appletalk
>connection.

>Then on some other computer in the network, a Mac running some term program
>that supports the Comm Toolbox. It could use the same tool to connect
>to the BBS.

>Make any sense? Comments?

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
>   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
>   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
>    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

What you are attempting is very possible.  Comm Toolbox BBS software could run
some of it's connections via a modem connection, some of its sessions via the
Apple ADSP Tool, some via TCP tools of various sorts.  Any CTB applications
which has access to these tools as well could then log on via a network.

--

Disclaimers are not legally valid.  My company can still fire me,
and they can always be sued.