[comp.sys.mac.comm] White Knight 11.08 vs System 6.0.7

delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney) (11/05/90)

I recently update my version of White Knight to 11.08. Then before I
used it again, I update my system to 11.08. Now I am having a problem
executing previously compiled procedures from a macro button and from
the menu. The errors I get vary, but the most common is the request that
I use "/pathname:filename". But I am using that. I have even used the
"get procedure file" option when editing the macro button and still get
the problem.

Is this a known problem with WK 11.08 or with WK and System 6.0.7? Or
have I just managed to trash WK in updating it?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

John

PS You might ask why I have not gone looking for the answer to this
question on FreeSoft's GEnie Roundtable. I quit GEnie recently when they
started to charge for their service by the month whether you log in or
not. I cannot see spending $60.00/year IN ADDITION TO connection charges
just to be kept abreast of White Knight's status. At that rate, I can
buy a new copy of WK from my university every 18 months and still save
money.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.142630.12779@xn.ll.mit.edu> delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney) writes:
>I recently update my version of White Knight to 11.08. Then before I
>used it again, I update my system to 11.08. Now I am having a problem
>executing previously compiled procedures from a macro button and from
>the menu. The errors I get vary, but the most common is the request that
>I use "/pathname:filename". But I am using that. I have even used the
>"get procedure file" option when editing the macro button and still get
>the problem.
>Is this a known problem with WK 11.08 or with WK and System 6.0.7? Or
>have I just managed to trash WK in updating it?
>PS You might ask why I have not gone looking for the answer to this
>question on FreeSoft's GEnie Roundtable. I quit GEnie recently when they
>started to charge for their service by the month whether you log in or
>not. I cannot see spending $60.00/year IN ADDITION TO connection charges
>just to be kept abreast of White Knight's status. At that rate, I can
>buy a new copy of WK from my university every 18 months and still save
>money.

	John, while it is possible that the patching process was not
	successful, you can try it again and see if problems persist
	assuming you still have the update patch file. The pathname
	error usually occurs if you have somehow inadvertantly changed
	the name of a folder or something in the path to the procedure.
	You might just try re-installing the macro button using the
	Get Procedure file button and see if the problem goes away.
	I am using WK with 6.0.7 without any problems. Current version
	is 11.10. Patch files are on my BBS at the number in my signature.

	Genie offers a number of services, some of which you can use
	as much as you want for the $4.95 a month. If all you thought
	you wanted to use GEnie for was for Freesoft support, than
	the new services and the minimal fee may not be worth it for
	you. However you do have an opportunity to check out other
	areas of GEnie for a flat rate and use the Computing areas for
	one of the lowest hourly rates around for what I think is the
	second largest online service around at $6 an hour for 2400/1200/300
	Its a good deal all the way around if you make use of GEnie on
	a regular basis, specially the Star*Service areas for the $4.95
	a month for as much usage as you wish

	-
--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

sam@chook.ua.oz (Sam Sangster) (11/06/90)

From article <1990Nov5.142630.12779@xn.ll.mit.edu>, by delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney):
> I recently update my version of White Knight to 11.08. Then before I
> used it again, I update my system to 11.08. Now I am having a problem
> executing previously compiled procedures from a macro button and from
> the menu. The errors I get vary, but the most common is the request that
> I use "/pathname:filename". But I am using that. I have even used the
> "get procedure file" option when editing the macro button and still get
> the problem.
>
> Is this a known problem with WK 11.08 or with WK and System 6.0.7? Or
> have I just managed to trash WK in updating it?

I have 6.0.7, WK11.08, on a SE/30 8Mb RAM, 120Mb Quantum ProSeries, and have
had no problems, and I have many procedures for doing nearly everything.

My best guess is that the installer/you have changed some {disk,folder} name
somewhere along the path for the macro.

Cheers,
Sam Sangster                      |   Internet: sam@cs.adelaide.edu.au
University of Adelaide, Australia |   AppleLink: AUST0153
Apple Consortium                  |   Ph: 61 8 228 5441  Fax: 61 8 223 1206

Sam Sangster                      |   Internet: sam@cs.adelaide.edu.au
Apple Consortium		  |   AppleLink: AUST0153
University of Adelaide, Australia |   Ph: 61 8 228 5441  Fax: 61 8 223 1206