[comp.sys.mac.comm] $199 v.42 modem????

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (10/23/90)

From MacProducts USA (advertisement in September MacUser), there is the
following:

MAGICMODEM
100% Hayes Compatible Auto Dial/
Auto Answer 2400/1200/300 Baud -
2-Year Warranty
V.42 MNP5

Price: $199.

Hell, it's probably a cheap-o modem, but if it works, it works right? Well,
if anyone has tried these and can offer me some recommendations, flames, or
general advice in my search for a V.42 modem, I'd appreciate it.

- Chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct22.235046.18281@wpi.WPI.EDU>, macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
> Hell, it's probably a cheap-o modem, but if it works, it works right? Well,
> if anyone has tried these and can offer me some recommendations, flames, or
> general advice in my search for a V.42 modem, I'd appreciate it.

This is *extremely* suspicous. The very nature of V.42 (and the fact
that _just_ the patent license for the protocol amount to > $60K)
implies a price tag much higher! MNP is a different matter. What they
*might* be saying is that it runs the "V.42 MNP level 5", but not
V.42 itself. There is a big difference.
I would call and ask first!
tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uunet!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (10/24/90)

In article <1CE00001.ik29ko@tbomb.ice.com> time@tbomb.ice.com writes:

)In article <1990Oct22.235046.18281@wpi.WPI.EDU>, macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) writes:
)> Hell, it's probably a cheap-o modem, but if it works, it works right? Well,
)> if anyone has tried these and can offer me some recommendations, flames, or
)> general advice in my search for a V.42 modem, I'd appreciate it.

)This is *extremely* suspicous. The very nature of V.42 (and the fact
)that _just_ the patent license for the protocol amount to > $60K)
)implies a price tag much higher! MNP is a different matter. What they
)*might* be saying is that it runs the "V.42 MNP level 5", but not
)V.42 itself. There is a big difference.
)I would call and ask first!
)tim.

	I saw someone selling Zoom v.42bis, MNP5 modems at a show
this last weekend for $229, so it sounds possible.

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
      Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

jack@taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (11/02/90)

    Sorry about the previous posts on this subject but we've had trouble
getting our rn working right.
   Anyway, I have one of the v42-v42bis MNP5 Magic modems sold by MacProducts
and would highly recommend it. The modem has a very nice metal case and completee LEDs on the front. The Rockwell RC2324AC chipset is used in the modem.
It has MNP1-4 error correction and V.42 error correction. It supports both
MNP5 and V.42-bis data compression. Considering that the Hayes 2400 V-series
sales at $450, this modem is a steal at $199. It even has a really nice
feature I've never seen on any other modem. A trimmer control one the back of
the modem allows you to adjust the impedence of the modem to match that of
your particular phone line so as to minimize "near end echo" that can make
the connection noiser. You do this by calling a friend who leaves the phone
off the hook after answering. Then you use the ATX0DT4.....4 command to
send a continous tone. The trimmer is then adjusted so that you hear the
tone at the lowest volume. Nifty...
                                Jack Howarth

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/04/90)

could you possibly post more info on this modem over the Net, like price,
ordering info (address of company, where to order, etc.)  I myself am
interested in this, and I'm sure others are, as well.
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

bachww@motcid.UUCP (William W. Bach) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov2.043710.16493@rice.edu> jack@taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) writes:

    Anyway, I have one of the v42-v42bis MNP5 Magic modems sold by
    MacProducts and would highly recommend it. The modem has a very nice
    metal case and completee LEDs on the front. The Rockwell RC2324AC
    chipset is used in the modem.  It has MNP1-4 error correction and V.42
    error correction. It supports both MNP5 and V.42-bis data compression.
    Considering that the Hayes 2400 V-series sales at $450, this modem is
    a steal at $199.
			   Jack Howarth

I assume from the description that this is a v.22bis (2400) modem with
v.42/v.42bis rather than a v.32 (9600) modem with v.42/v.42bis.  If
this is the case than I have two questions:

	1) When connecting to a v.32 modem with v.42/v.42bis does the
	   v.32 modem drop back to v.22bis with v.42/v.42bis?  In
	   other words are the features useful in a 9600 baud world?

	2) If I get a v.22bis (2400) modem with v.42/v.42bis will I
	   get the same thrill as when I moved up from 1200 baud to
	   2400 baud or should I wait till I can afford a v.32 modem
	   with v.42/v.42bis?

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (11/06/90)

   William,
       I assume that a 9600 baud v32/v42/v42-bis will drop down to
v22bis/v42/v42bis. The mechanism of tone generation (v22bis) should be
independent of the method of error correction (v42) and data compression
(v42-bis). Since I have yet to run into a v.32/v42/v42-bis modem so
far I can't say for certain.
       As to whether you should buy one, if you only have a 2400 modem
w/o MNP, go for it. You'll get MNP1-5 and v42/v42bis plus a Rockwell
modem chip set (i.e. quality) for $50 more than a bare bones 2400 MNP
modem.  If you have a 2400 MNP modem is probably not worth it. v42-bis
will give you a 4:1 compression of data compared to 2:1 for MNP5 (MNP9
does 4:1 as well but is very rare), however, few modem now have v42bis
so you'll be using MNP most times. So if you don't have any error
correction most definitely go for it, otherwise no.
                               Jack