[comp.sys.mac.comm] Problems with NuvoLinkSC box

sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr p freeman) (11/06/90)

Hi,
I am having a few problems with a NuvoLinkSC scsi/ethernet box for the Mac.
It has been working reasonably well but has always been prone to hang up.
This seems to have got worse recently.  I have noticed that it seems to work
much better with the non_MacTCP version of NCSA Telnet than with the MacTCP
version.  Using the latter, the box hangs after a short period of time (5-
30 secs, it varies!).  The mac is Ok until you try to quit from telnet. Then
it hangs.  I am using MacTCPv1.0.1 and have tried system 6.0.3, 6.0.4 and
6.0.5 but this doesn't seem to help.  I am using a Mac SE/30.

I am using v1.25 of the Nuvotech driver and I am in then process of obtaining
v 1.26 ( the latest I think).  Has anynone else using one of these boxes had
problems- similar or otherwise.  I would certainly appreciate hearing from you.

I also notice that other MacTCP progs (Eudora, MacPost) hang.  I have run a
Disinfectant scan (v2.3) and all is OK.

Any help, commments would be appreciated.

Paul Freeman
Monash University,
Caulfield Campus
P.O. Box 197
Caulfield East 3145
AUSTRALIA
Email:	sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov5.215224.16693@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>,
sci213v@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  p    freeman) writes:
> I am using v1.25 of the Nuvotech driver and I am in then process of obtaining
> v 1.26 ( the latest I think).  Has anynone else using one of these boxes had
> problems- similar or otherwise.  I would certainly appreciate hearing from you.

It seems that there is a problem with MacTCP, in that there is a bit set
somewhere (don't ask me) that enet boards ignore, but SCSI devices don't.
It ends up hanging the SCSI bus until the bit gets reset, some other software
on your Mac is resetting it for you, then things will work fine again. I
believe that Apple is aware of this.
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products