[comp.sys.mac.comm] Unix <-> Mac archiving

jongminp@cae.wisc.edu (Jong-Min Park) (11/09/90)

Is there a compression/de-compression program that exists
both in Unix and Mac, so that I can transfer a compressed
file between Unix and Mac? Preferably one that archives
a whole directory. ('un/tar' or 'un/compress' in Mac, or
Stuffit-type archive in Unix?)

Please reply to jongminp@cae.wisc.edu. Thank you.

Jong-Min

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/09/90)

In article <11686@spool.cs.wisc.edu> jongminp@cae.wisc.edu (Jong-Min Park) writes:
>Is there a compression/de-compression program that exists
>both in Unix and Mac, so that I can transfer a compressed
>file between Unix and Mac? Preferably one that archives
>a whole directory. ('un/tar' or 'un/compress' in Mac, or
>Stuffit-type archive in Unix?)

Well, I have a program called MacCompress, that uncompresses *.Z files
(created with UNIX's "compress" command).

As to other types of archives, I dunno; is there a utility that
(un)TAR's files on the Mac?  If so, then where may I find it

I'm fairly certain that UNIX's have un-ARC and un-ZIP on them, in which
case all you have to do is get MacARC and MacZIP (there ARE such things,
I have them, but I probably got their names wrong).

If you need any of this stuff, E-Mail me, and I'll (try) to get it out to
you.  I dunno if I can though; our mainframe<-->dialup up/downloading
isn't working too well.. :(
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (11/09/90)

On-going thread (much deleted)

>>file between Unix and Mac? Preferably one that archives
>>a whole directory. ('un/tar' or 'un/compress' in Mac, or
>>Stuffit-type archive in Unix?)

>Well, I have a program called MacCompress, that uncompresses *.Z files
>(created with UNIX's "compress" command).

Along similar lines the following tools are occasionally useful:

unshar-2.hqx
unzip-101.hqx
uu-decoder.hqx
vax-xbin.hqx
tar-20.hqx

These utilities can be found in the /info-mac/comm directory of
the sumex-aim.stanford.edu anonymous ftp server, along with brief
descriptions in the abstracts file.
Bill Johnston; 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949
johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu