[comp.sys.mac.comm] Appletalk Filing Protocol Server stuff needed

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (11/09/90)

I need to write a some AFP server code, but the IM chapter (vol IV) says
the system file only implements the client side of the protocol (in the
.XPP driver, I guess) Were is the server side implemented? And how can a
lowly programmer get it?

I'm writing in Think 4.0 C, so I guess I'll have to make my own headers.
That is a minor (I hope) concern. Anybody done any work with AFP?

Thanks.

-JT

davids@mondo.engin.umich.edu (David Snearline) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov9.023611.13233@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) writes:
>I need to write a some AFP server code, but the IM chapter (vol IV) says
>the system file only implements the client side of the protocol (in the
>.XPP driver, I guess) Were is the server side implemented? And how can a
>lowly programmer get it?
>
>I'm writing in Think 4.0 C, so I guess I'll have to make my own headers.
>That is a minor (I hope) concern. Anybody done any work with AFP?
>
>Thanks.
>
>-JT

My suggestion is to check out the book "Inside AppleTalk".  There is a whole
section on the AppleTalk Filing Protocol, complete with packet formats,
algorithms, rights, etc.  The book is published by Addison-Wesley and
is the best reference on AppleTalk that I have seen -- probably because the
guys who wrote AppleTalk are the ones who wrote the book!

--- davids

|       David Snearline              |      CAEN Operations/Mac Systems     |
|    davids@mondo.engin.umich.edu    |   University of Michigan Engineering |
|       W: 3-3070, H: 971-5195       |    2853 Bellwood, Ann Arbor, Mich.   |

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (11/09/90)

sorry if I was unclear - I have Inside Appletalk (it's great)
It's the _Software_ that I need, a driver or some such thing, I suppose.
The people at APDA could not help me. :-(

-JT

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (11/10/90)

In comp.sys.mac.comm, article <1990Nov9.023611.13233@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
  jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) writes:
< I need to write a some AFP server code, but the IM chapter (vol IV) says
< the system file only implements the client side of the protocol (in the
< .XPP driver, I guess) Were is the server side implemented? And how can a
< lowly programmer get it?
<
Write it yourself, or convince somebody who has done so to share the code...

< I'm writing in Think 4.0 C, so I guess I'll have to make my own headers.
< That is a minor (I hope) concern. Anybody done any work with AFP?
<
The code to my SingleShare server is available.
Look at rascal.ics.utexas.edu or iraun1.ira.uka.de.

Be aware, however, that it's (a) Pascal and (b) somewhat MPW speciific.

NB: If you post a request to two groups, please cross-post instead of posting twice.
--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (11/12/90)

Source for Matthias Urlichs' SingleShare server is available for FTPing
at rascal.ics.utexas.edu in
/mac/communications/SingleShar_0.9b16_src_SIT_bin.  There are conditions
on use and redistribution, and there may be some bugs, but it's a start.