[comp.sys.mac.comm] CommToolbox ADSP problems

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (11/12/90)

I've been working on a program that uses the CommToolbox, specifically the AppleTalk ADSP connection tool.  To test this program, I am trying to run two
applications on my machine, one listening for a connection, the other trying to
open one.

Everything seems to work fine.  The listener sees that someone is trying to make
a connection, then tries to open the connection.  It then gets an error saying
"not closed".  Trying a close gets an error "not open".

Is it possible to open a connection to your own machine (handy for testing)?
If so, someone tell me how.

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus                  UUCP: <backbones>!iuvax!bsu-cs!mithomas
Associate Database Analyst       ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

rneville@Apple.COM (Robert Neville) (11/12/90)

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:

>I've been working on a program that uses the CommToolbox, specifically the AppleTalk ADSP connection tool.  To test this program, I am trying to run two
>applications on my machine, one listening for a connection, the other trying to
>open one.

>Everything seems to work fine.  The listener sees that someone is trying to make
>a connection, then tries to open the connection.  It then gets an error saying
>"not closed".  Trying a close gets an error "not open".

>Is it possible to open a connection to your own machine (handy for testing)?
>If so, someone tell me how.

>-Michael
There is a way but you have to set the Configuration of the ADSP Tool
correctly.  There is a bit (pardon me I don't know it right now) that
allows you to register the same name multiple times.  What appears to
be happening is that when you try to connect the Tool thinks its already
open.  Set the bit that allows multiple connections with the same name
and you should be OK.   The configuration data should be available in the
APDA documentation for the Tool.

I'll try and post a follow up from work, but if I don't get back to you in
mail me a message and I'll reply.  My address is rneville@apple.com

>--
>Michael Niehaus                  UUCP: <backbones>!iuvax!bsu-cs!mithomas
>Associate Database Analyst       ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
>Marathon Oil Company             CompuServe: 73760,171
--

Disclaimers are not legally valid.  My company can still fire me,
and they can always be sued.

jtt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (James T. Tanis) (11/13/90)

you should be able to open a connection to a socket on your own node by
first calling SetSelfSend with a non-zero value passes in the selfSend
field of the appropriate parameter block.

I don't have my manuals with me, but I think it's in the IM V chapter.
note that you must have the right version of appletalk ( >$48?? ) for
this to work properly.

-JT