[comp.sys.mac.comm] AppleTalk to Internet bridge?

francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (11/14/90)

Is there any software out there that will allow a Mac with
Internet access (running MacTCP) to act as a bridge for other
Macs linked to it by AppleTalk? Ideally, the other Macs would
interface just as if MacTCP were installed.

If it doesn't exist, where can I get specs on how to write it?
(In particular, specs on calling MacTCP, and on writing an
ASP server.) Yes, I know about IM & the TNs.  I'm (fairly)
sure it's not in there.

Thanks!

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| Non sequiturs make me eat lampshades	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   				       	      |

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.181145.10223@midway.uchicago.edu>
francis@arthur.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
> Is there any software out there that will allow a Mac with
> Internet access (running MacTCP) to act as a bridge for other
> Macs linked to it by AppleTalk? Ideally, the other Macs would
> interface just as if MacTCP were installed.

Hmm... I assume you don't want this Mac with Internet access to be just an
AppleTalk router ('cause then you could just use Apple's Internet Router
s/w or Farallon (was InfoSphere) Liaison s/w.

If what you want is the functionality that Apple terms a DDP/IP gateway,
then you might consider NRC's MultiGate Mac s/w.  This s/w is advertised to
provide DDP/IP gateway functions, in addition to the AppleTalk routing
capabilities of the aforementioned Internet Router s/w or Liaison.  Hence what you are supposed to end up with is something more akin to a FastPath or a
GatorBox, only its done in software on a Mac (and yes it's probably slower
and a terrible waste of a good Mac... Frank and Brad  :^)   )

I have no experience with this s/w, but Network Resources Corporation's Number is 408-263-8100.  PS. Tell them to get an internet address if they want to be
considered a real networking company.  :^)

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca