[comp.sys.mac.comm] Macintosh BBS's

patel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Amit Patel ) (11/14/90)

>I am interested in obtaining a list of BBS that are dedicated to Macintoshs.
>Does such a list exist???

An informal listing based on my experience: Red Ryder Host 2.00, WWIV 3.0,
Hermes 0.91, FBBS (?) are the latest versions of the most common Mac BBS
software.  There are a few others; there's one in the SUMEX archives which
I can't remember offhand.  Also, one of the NETters advertises one he's written
in his signature file.  Look for that.

WWIV is the one I use, and I'm reasonably certain it's the best that's out for
a non-Mac interface (i.e., for a BBS that can be connected to any dialling-in
computer, not just other Macs).

--
Jeff Porten, Annenberg School for Communication, UPenn (sjporte@asc.upenn.edu)

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (11/15/90)

>>I am interested in obtaining a list of BBS that are dedicated to Macintoshs.
>>Does such a list exist???
>
>An informal listing based on my experience: Red Ryder Host 2.00, WWIV 3.0,
>Hermes 0.91, FBBS (?) are the latest versions of the most common Mac BBS
>software.  There are a few others; there's one in the SUMEX archives which...

I think the original poster was looking for a list of Mac BBSs, not a list
of Mac BBS software...

Once you get on one Mac BBS you will find pointers to lots of other Mac
BBSs.  If you can't find that first one, try mine.  MacScience BBS on
(408) 866-4933.

Ray

robertw@informix.com (Rob Weinberg) (11/15/90)

In article <2302@sparko.gwu.edu> fc156111@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire Jr.) writes:
>I am interested in obtaining a list of BBS that are dedicated to Macintoshs.
>Does such a list exist???
>
>I would like to be able to access other sources of shareware and public domain
>software.

You can get this information from BMUG (Berkeley Macintosh Users' Group)
in Berkeley, CA, at (415) - 549-2684. They have hundreds of disks
full of pd and shareware.

Rob

--
      Rob Weinberg                 Does a tree fall in the forest
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!robertw      if  1: no one hears it