[comp.sys.mac.comm] Confused about the Comm Toolbox.

phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) (11/15/90)

Basically I'm confused about what do communication programs actually
*do* in this brave new world with the Comm Toolbox.  I mean, the CTB
provides terminal emulators (VT100, VT320 provided by Apple), file
transfer programs (KERMIT, XMODEM), and connection tools (serial, ADSP).
What else is there for a minimal featured comm program to provide?

A scripting language (for connections and stuff) I guess.  Maybe
macro buttons (ala RR or WK) to initiate scripts.

But what else?  It seems to me there won't be much to differentiate
between CTB versions of White Knight, Versaterm, etc.
--
Phil Trubey
SHL Systemhouse Inc.

leonardr@svc.portal.com (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov15.013928.8170@shl.com> phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) writes:
>Basically I'm confused about what do communication programs actually
>*do* in this brave new world with the Comm Toolbox.  I mean, the CTB
>provides terminal emulators (VT100, VT320 provided by Apple), file
>transfer programs (KERMIT, XMODEM), and connection tools (serial, ADSP).
>What else is there for a minimal featured comm program to provide?

	Not much.  For many people, something like Apple's Surfer example
program plus the standard tools offer all the features that they need. However,
there are very few third party tools available so things like ZMODEM, Kermit,
TCP/IP type stuff are not yet avail.

>A scripting language (for connections and stuff) I guess.  Maybe
>macro buttons (ala RR or WK) to initiate scripts.
>
>But what else?  It seems to me there won't be much to differentiate
>between CTB versions of White Knight, Versaterm, etc.

	First, very few of the commercial communication venders are supporting
ALL of the parts of the CTB.  Most are just supporting the Connection Manager
in order to get system level support for multiPort cards and internal modems
(and other connection types are nice too ;-), and Versaterm is the only one
that is also doing the File Transfer Manager.
	But to answer your question....Here are some things which come to mind
which will differentiate comm programs:
	User Interface/Ease of Use
	Scripting
	Data Manipulation Tools (Capture/Printing/Editing)
	Configurability (ie. Preferences/Settings)
	Enhancements (Buffered Keyboards, Password Protection, etc.)
	SPEED!
	Other Terminals and Protocols

	Since all word processors just edit words, why would you choose MSWord
over MacWrite!?!?  Because of the other tools it offers, and the way it offers
those tools (which is why I DON'T use MSWord ;-)

+ Leonard Rosenthol              | Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com  +
+ Software Ventures              | GEnie:    MACgician               +
+ MicroPhone II Development Team | AOL:      MACgician1              +