[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mac Token Ring Connection to OS/2 Servers?

mark@shl.com (Mark Batten) (11/05/90)

I have a Token Ring network with OS/2 machines running Microsoft Lan Manager.
I have Mac users who want to be added to the Token Ring network soley to
get at the WordPerfect files stored on the OS/2 Server (ie. read the existing
files and create their own for the PC users to read).

So, using Apple's Token Ring card, I can physically connect the Macs to the
Token Ring network, but how do I get the machine to store/retrieve files
on the OS/2 server?

(Note: With PC LAN servers instead of OS/2 servers, the solution was to just
use the software that Apple provided with the boards.  I am told that this
does not work with the OS/2 servers, though, because we are using USER-level
security, not SHARE-level security like PC LAN servers have.  This note may
very well be irrelevant.)

If the Macs cannot directly access the OS/2 server, are there any other
solutions?

Mark Batten     mark@shl.com     (613) 236-1428

marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dave Walker) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov05.051105.21758@shl.com> mark@shl.com (Mark Batten) writes:

>I have a Token Ring network with OS/2 machines running Microsoft Lan Manager.
>I have Mac users who want to be added to the Token Ring network soley to
>get at the WordPerfect files stored on the OS/2 Server (ie. read the existing
>files and create their own for the PC users to read).
>
>So, using Apple's Token Ring card, I can physically connect the Macs to the
>Token Ring network, but how do I get the machine to store/retrieve files
>on the OS/2 server?

I believe that 3Com's version of Lan Manager, 3+Open, provides the
Macintosh services you need.  3Com added extensions to Lan Manager
for Macintosh support.  Unfortunately, I don't know whether or not
it's possible to purchase these valu-added functions seperately from
the rest of 3+Open or not.  I know that with Novell's Netware, for
instance, Macintish support consists of extra system modules that
you can add to the product.  I believe that ATT's version of Lan
Manager supports Macs too.

>If the Macs cannot directly access the OS/2 server, are there any other
>solutions?
>
>Mark Batten     mark@shl.com     (613) 236-1428

| Dave Walker, Detroit Art Services (DAS)                                |
| marmoset@ub.cc.umich.edu                 "I don't read, I just guess"  |
| marmoset@mondo.engin.umich.edu       -Happy Mondays, "Wrote For Luck"  |

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov05.051105.21758@shl.com> mark@shl.com (Mark Batten) writes:
>I have a Token Ring network with OS/2 machines running Microsoft Lan Manager.
>I have Mac users who want to be added to the Token Ring network soley to
>get at the WordPerfect files stored on the OS/2 Server (ie. read the existing
>files and create their own for the PC users to read).
>
>So, using Apple's Token Ring card, I can physically connect the Macs to the
>Token Ring network, but how do I get the machine to store/retrieve files
>on the OS/2 server?
>If the Macs cannot directly access the OS/2 server, are there any other
>solutions?

Well, this is less than a perfect solution, but you can try using Miramar's
Mac LAN Connect as a forwarder. I don't know how this would work, I've never
tried it, but it's worth a call. I don't know their number, but you can get
it by calling Banyan, which has a "strategic alliance" with them...

You'd have to put a token ring card in the PC, and ethernet cards in both the
PC and the Mac(s).

TOPS could almost surely do the same thing, but I can't imagine a more
unpleasant way to work...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis