[comp.sys.mac.comm] Fast file transfer over serial lines

smedley@udel.edu (Trevor Smedley) (11/16/90)

I have a Mac IIsi and a sun 3/50 on my desk, connected through the
serial ports.  I can drive the serial port on the sun to 38400 baud, and
the Kermit I have on the mac (version 0.98(62) - 08/22/89) claims (in
the settings dialog box) to be able to go this fast (or even 57600 baud,
but I can't figure out how to get the sun to go that fast).  When using
kermit as a terminal emulator, I believe that I am getting 38400 baud,
but when I try to transfer files, I think I am only getting 9600 baud.
There are two reasons why I think this -- 1) It takes a long time to
transfer large files, and 2) if I try to start kermit on the sun with -b
38400 it says invalid speed.  It says this for any speed greater than 9600.

So, does anyone have a sun3/unix version of kermit that will handle
higher speed data transfers?  Or a totally different file transfer
method that will allow higher speeds?  I am using MacLayers, which will
give 19200 baud, but I'd still like it to be faster.

Thanks, Trevor

P.S.  The reason I want this to be fast, is because I transfer
Postscript files to the sun for printing, and they often contain
graphics, and are in the .5 meg range.

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (11/17/90)

In article <36487@nigel.ee.udel.edu> smedley@udel.edu (Trevor Smedley)
writes:
> I have a Mac IIsi and a sun 3/50 on my desk, connected through the
> serial ports.  I can drive the serial port on the sun to 38400 baud, and
> the Kermit I have on the mac (version 0.98(62) - 08/22/89) claims (in
> the settings dialog box) to be able to go this fast (or even 57600 baud,
> but I can't figure out how to get the sun to go that fast).  When using
> kermit as a terminal emulator, I believe that I am getting 38400 baud,
> but when I try to transfer files, I think I am only getting 9600 baud.
> There are two reasons why I think this -- 1) It takes a long time to
> transfer large files, and 2) if I try to start kermit on the sun with -b
> 38400 it says invalid speed.  It says this for any speed greater than
9600.

> So, does anyone have a sun3/unix version of kermit that will handle
> higher speed data transfers?  Or a totally different file transfer
> method that will allow higher speeds?  I am using MacLayers, which will
> give 19200 baud, but I'd still like it to be faster.
>
> Thanks, Trevor
>
> P.S.  The reason I want this to be fast, is because I transfer
> Postscript files to the sun for printing, and they often contain
> graphics, and are in the .5 meg range.

Any possibility you could get an Ethernet card for your IIsi when they
come out?  Between the Sun and the Mac you should get FTP transfer's
running at least 40-50kbytes/sec, even using a dumb ethernet card without
it's own 68000, like Apple's standard offering.

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

milo@cartan.math.nd.edu (Greg Corson) (11/21/90)

From article <1990Nov16.133214.6978@bwdls61.bnr.ca>, by bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt):
> In article <36487@nigel.ee.udel.edu> smedley@udel.edu (Trevor Smedley)
> writes:
>>
>> So, does anyone have a sun3/unix version of kermit that will handle
>> higher speed data transfers?  Or a totally different file transfer
>> method that will allow higher speeds?  I am using MacLayers, which will
>> give 19200 baud, but I'd still like it to be faster.

I would suggest you try ZMODEM for file transfers at high speed.  It sends
data in much larger packets than Kermit and is much more efficient, particularly
when you're on an error-free line.  I've used ZMODEM at up to 9600 baud with
no problems...I'm sure it can go faster if necessary.

The programs you want are SZ and RZ for unix they are public domain and
available from any well-stocked Unix archive.

For the Mac you can use many programs, quite a few different ones support
ZMODEM.  ZTERM is a shareware program available on most BBS systems and
works well.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637