[comp.sys.mac.comm] BackFAX problems

yost@DPW.COM (David A. Yost) (10/30/90)

I bought an Orchid fax, which comes bundled with
BackFAX, and I'm not thrilled.

For instance, randlom lines of pixels are dropped when
printing received faxes, although if you copy and paste
the image into a paint program, they seem to be there.
When you send a fax, the rasterization drops and adds
raster lines so that a 45 degree line sort of zigsags
about every 1/4 inch.  Also, when sending a fax, if you
preview it on the screen, a 45 degree line jags along
at something a bit off 45 degrees.  The upshot of these
weirdnesses is that lines of text appear randomly tall
and short when printed.

There are other annoyances.  A major one is that when
you want to use the modem for dialout from another
application, you have to furst go into the backFAX
application and take it out of send and receive modes
by hand; of course, when you're done dialing out,
you have to go back and re-enable backFAX.  If you
don't do this, you get ugly error messages and the
modem may have to be reset.  AppleLink in particular
realy freaks out in this situation.  Is this a problem
with BackFAX or is the Mac serial driver too dumb to
support automatic switching in a case like this?  Is
this any better under the the Comm toolbox?  The way it
should work is that a client waiting to answer the
phone should not interfere with another one that wants
to dial out.  It took years for unix serial drivers to
support this automatic line sharing, but now most of
them do (I put in a change like this once myself).

Anyone have the Abaton Interfax?
Is it good?

 --dave yost
   yost@dpw.com or uunet!esquire!yost
   Please don't use other mangled forms you may see
   in the From, Reply-To, or CC fields above.

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/30/90)

In article <2759@esquire.dpw.com> yost@DPW.COM (David A. Yost) writes:
>I bought an Orchid fax, which comes bundled with
>BackFAX, and I'm not thrilled.

[description of annoyances]

>There are other annoyances.  A major one is that when
>you want to use the modem for dialout from another
>application, you have to furst go into the backFAX
>application and take it out of send and receive modes
>by hand; of course, when you're done dialing out,
>you have to go back and re-enable backFAX.  If you
>don't do this, you get ugly error messages and the
>modem may have to be reset.

I have the Abaton Interfax modem.  It automatically switches from fax
mode into 2400 baud conversational mode when I bring up Versaterm, then
switches back into fax receive when I exit.  The picture quality is good.
The problems are:  VERY slow conversion of fax to print when printing on
a Laserwriter II NT -- the spool files are so big that I have to turn off
background printing if I have less than 4 megs free on the disk.  Also,
the INIT that runs things sometimes causes the machine to hang (Mac IIx,
system 6.0.5, Multifinder 6.1b9).

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

briang@bari.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Gordon) (11/01/90)

In article <2759@esquire.dpw.com> yost@DPW.COM (David A. Yost) writes:
>I bought an Orchid fax, which comes bundled with
>BackFAX, and I'm not thrilled.
>	[...]
>Anyone have the Abaton Interfax?
	Yes
>Is it good?
	Yes.  Not perfect, but good.  I bought it when the 4800/1200 baud
version was their only one.  When they came out with the 9600/2400 hardware and
new S/W upgrade to go with it, they sent the upgrade S/W free.

	It does the job, is EXCELLENT at both sending and (auto)receiving FAXes
in the background under Finder.  If I had the money, I'd spring for the
9600/2400 hardware today.  As a home unit, I can't justify that (yet).

--
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
| Brian G. Gordon	briang@Sun.COM (if you trust exotic mailers)          |

Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (11/21/90)

In article <2759@esquire.dpw.com> yost@DPW.COM (David A. Yost) writes:
> The way it
> should work is that a client waiting to answer the
> phone should not interfere with another one that wants
> to dial out.  It took years for unix serial drivers to
> support this automatic line sharing, but now most of
> them do (I put in a change like this once myself).

I agree that this is a problem with BackFax.

Timbuktu/Remote manages to share the modem in a nice way, so it obviously
*is* possible.