[comp.sys.mac.comm] 4th Dimension & Networking over the phone

judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Peter Judge) (11/23/90)

Hi,
I am a Mac literate person who knows only a little about
networking or databases.

I need to network three to five macs running a
4th Dimension application. Three machines are
located in separate regions so I would have to
connect them via telephone lines; the others would
be connected by cable.

My questions are these:

1)	How does 4th Dimension make use of modems to
	share a distributed database?

	Does it contain routines to implement networking
	over phone lines, or do I need a bridge?
	(Technical information regarding the
	purchase, installation and use of bridges
	would be welcome).

2)	Is there recommended networking software
	to use with 4th Dimension (Appletalk, TOPS...)?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Please respond via e-mail since I don't read this
newsgroup very often.
==========================
Peter Judge
judge@credit.erin.utoronto.ca

judge@credit.erin.utoronto.ca	(Peter Judge) |)
judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Martin) (11/23/90)

In article <1990Nov23.000340.1514@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> judge@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Peter Judge) writes:

>I need to network three to five macs running a
>4th Dimension application. Three machines are
>located in separate regions so I would have to
>connect them via telephone lines; the others would
>be connected by cable.
>
>My questions are these:
>
>1)	How does 4th Dimension make use of modems to
>	share a distributed database?
   It doesn't.

>	Does it contain routines to implement networking
>	over phone lines, or do I need a bridge?
   You would need a bridge.

>2)	Is there recommended networking software
>	to use with 4th Dimension (Appletalk, TOPS...)?
    Data corruption problems have occurred with TOPS.

Bad idea. 4D uses a file server rather than a client/server model, so phone
line networking is next to impossible with 4D. The closest you could
come is to mimic a distributed database design, with batch updating
between central database and remote databases at periodic intervals.
A more expensive approach is to use 4D as a front end to an Oracle database,
which should support the distributed databases.

Alternatively, you could run "headless" macs at your central
site, each with timbuktu/remote or carbon copy mac running, and access
these macs via v.42bis modems from your remote sites. That may
be a reasonable implementation, since you transfer screen images rather than
data across the phone lines. You could enter and review data on-screen, but
you wouldn't be able to print at a remote site using this approach.

Best regards,

====
    Brian K. Martin, M.D.
    Martin Information Systems, Ltd.
    1103 9th Ave, Suite 203
    Honolulu, HI 96816-2403
    Voice (808) 733-2003
    Fax (808) 733-2011

INTERNET: martin@medix.pegasus.com, bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin