[comp.sys.mac.comm] A question for the hardware wizards at Apple

jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) (11/21/90)

I'm currently having big problemtrying to talk to other computers with
my Mac IIcx and Racal Vadic 9632 VP V.32 modem.  Someone on the net
mentioned that the problem with high speed communications and the Mac
is that there just aren't enough control lines... i.e. you cannot use
hardware flow control on the Mac serial ports.  This seems unlikely
since Apple does provide lines "Handshake In and Handshake Out" on the
serial port, although the exact meaning of these names is quite vague.

Question: Can I use the Mac with my high speed (9600 bps) modem?  Can
the Mac IIcx support hardware flow control?  WHAT ARE THE EXACT
PINOUTS OF THE CABLE I NEED and how should I configure the Mac and
modem to make them talk with erach other properly?  I have no problem
swith 2400 bps communications.  When I take it up to the high speeds,
nothing works.

Thanks guys!

--
ORGANIZATION:  Advanced Decision Systems   GEOGRAPHIC: Arlington, VA
UUCP:          kzin!speaker@mimsy.umd.edu  INTERNET:   jtn@potomac.ads.com

merlyn@digibd.com (Brian Westley (Merlyn LeRoy)) (11/26/90)

jtn@ADS.COM (John T. Nelson) writes:
>.. Someone on the net
>mentioned that the problem with high speed communications and the Mac
>is that there just aren't enough control lines... i.e. you cannot use
>hardware flow control on the Mac serial ports.  This seems unlikely
>since Apple does provide lines "Handshake In and Handshake Out" on the
>serial port, although the exact meaning of these names is quite vague.

The Mac serial ports supply exactly one hardware input and one hardware
output, "CTS" and "DTR", repectively.  The hardware input line, "CTS",
is variously used as CTS (hardware flow control), DCD (carrier detect
when connected to a modem), or external clock.  If your software package
insists that "CTS" be used as carrier detect and won't allow you to use
it for hardware flow control, you can't use it for hardware flow control.
If you use "CTS" for hardware flow control, it's going to be difficult to
determine the state of carrier detect (but chatty modems can help).
You can use it for one thing at a time; you can't use it for two different
things simultaneously, like CTS & DCD.

----
Brian Westley
DigiBoard