[comp.sys.mac.comm] Disabling call waiting

a544@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (11/27/90)

You could try setting your modem's S10 register to a higher number.  The S10
register controls the time the modem will wait out a :lost carrier: and that is
what the call waiting signal does - "loses the carrier" for a short period
(does anyone know how long call waiting lasts?).  Try a setting of about 125 ms
and if that works, include the S10=125 in your modem's init string.  On my
EMAC, setting S10 to 255 disables the modems ability to hang-up, no matter what
you do.  you have to type in the ATS10=70 from the command line to get out of
that - so don't go to 255!

Luck.
| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY   |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.   |
|     CANADA     |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING |
|________________|___________________________________________|

agw@cs.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) (11/27/90)

Hello all.

How does one selectively disable call waiting?  I don't want my
session fouled up by the call-waiting beep.

There is a rumor afloat that one merely punches in some special code
at the telephone's keypad before placing the call, and then punches in
another code when the session is completed.  New Jersey Bell said that
this was false, and that I would have to pay an additional charge if I
want to do this.

Please reply to me via E-mail to reduce wasted bandwidth.

Thanks.

--
      Art Werschulz
      InterNet:  agw@cs.columbia.edu

agw@cs.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) (11/27/90)

Hello.

(Sorry if this is a repost, but I'm not sure if it got sent the first time.)

Is there some way to selectively disable call waiting by punching in
a code at the telephone keypad?  I heard from some people that this is
doable, but I can't find a reference.  My local Bell company says that
this can be done for a fee, but I'd rather not pay the additional
charges if it's not really necessary.

Please send replies via E-mail.  Thanks.

--

ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Piper Keairnes) (11/28/90)

agw@cs.columbia.edu (Art Werschulz) writes:

>Is there some way to selectively disable call waiting by punching in
>a code at the telephone keypad?

Typical dialing string, "*70,999-9999"

This worked for several years, but recently the *70 prefix results in one of
those annoying recordings. Try it and see if it works. The prefix only turns
off call waiting for the remainder of that call. It does not affect your
long-term call-waiting service.

Does anyone know why this would no longer work? Have the Bell companies
started charging us to be able to turn off a service we are paying for?

_____
Piper Keairnes
ar4@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Purdue University)