[comp.sys.mac.comm] GEnie Cost?

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (11/07/90)

In article <2913@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
	   Genie offers a number of services, some of which you can use
	   as much as you want for the $4.95 a month. If all you thought
	   you wanted to use GEnie for was for Freesoft support, than
	   the new services and the minimal fee may not be worth it for
	   you. However you do have an opportunity to check out other
	   areas of GEnie for a flat rate and use the Computing areas for
	   one of the lowest hourly rates around for what I think is the
	   second largest online service around at $6 an hour for 2400/1200/300
	   Its a good deal all the way around if you make use of GEnie on
	   a regular basis, specially the Star*Service areas for the $4.95
	   a month for as much usage as you wish

I'm not positive about this, but I just read the ad in MacUser
(November 1990) and it says that the $4.95/month for unlimited usage
is only for the first month.  If I'm wrong, please let me know because
I might be interested in subscribing.

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | No Jacket
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University | Required.
(617) 894-6859              | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |   Phil C.

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (11/07/90)

STAR*SERVICES are $4.95 a month.  They include normal email, the usual
basic utilties, stock quotes, etc.  Other services, including Roundtables
(newsgroups) and uploading/downloading cost $6 an hour or so.

What it boils down to is that GENie is the place to go for cheap email,
especially since the dweebs at PRODIGY (talk about a group of people with
a collective deathwish - but thats another topic) are going to start
charging extra for email (>30 msgs a month or so).

| Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  !uunet!biar!trebor trebor@biar.UUCP |
| "Does this include a gratuity?" --- Agent Cooper, "Twin Peaks," 9/30/90  |

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/08/90)

In article <ALAND.90Nov6181624@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) writes:
>In article <2913@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>I'm not positive about this, but I just read the ad in MacUser
>(November 1990) and it says that the $4.95/month for unlimited usage
>is only for the first month.  If I'm wrong, please let me know because
>I might be interested in subscribing.
>Alan D. Danziger

	I have not seen the MacUser article, but it thats what it implies,
	it is incorrect. The one thing to be aware, not all services are
	$4.95 a month, Computing areas on GEnie are $6 hr non-prime time
	in addition to the $4.95. However the $4.95 does include a number
	of RT areas for that flat rate that you can use as much as you would
	like during that month. It is NOT a one time fee. It rounds out to
	about $59-60 a year if you use exclusively the Star*Service areas,
	and additional costs are applied as you move into or use regularly
	the $6 per hour areas of GEnie. The Star*Services include many
	leisure pursuit RT's and other educational services. Star Areas
	are clearly marked and since the beginning of the Star*Services
	at the beginning of October, additional safeguards have been
	installed to help insure that users that do not want to wander
	into $6 hr areas can exit before any charges might be incurred,
	and to make sure you know what is a Star Area, and what is not.
	It is a good value and esxcellent service IMHO..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (11/08/90)

In article <ALAND.90Nov6181624@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu> aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) writes:
>(November 1990) and it says that the $4.95/month for unlimited usage
>is only for the first month.  If I'm wrong, please let me know because

I think what they mean is that the $4.95 is only REFUNDABLE during the first
month. If you decide you don't like it and cancel, they'll give you your money
back if it's in the first month of use.

>Alan D. Danziger

Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/08/90)

In article <1204@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>   What it boils down to is that GENie is the place to go for cheap email,

Except they have little gatewaying capabilities to other networks
(i.e. Internet).
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) (11/10/90)

In article <1204@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>STAR*SERVICES are $4.95 a month.  They include normal email, the usual
>basic utilties, stock quotes, etc.  Other services, including Roundtables
>(newsgroups) and uploading/downloading cost $6 an hour or so.

Uploading is FREE in GEnie in ALL RoundTables. There is a rumor that 9600
access will begin next year.  At least for major cities.  No word on rates
for 9600 though.

Star*Services include over 100 areas including mail, mall, Easy Sabre
(American Airlines flight reservation), lots of news and more.  All of the
computer related roundtables (Mac, FreeSoft, Mac Pro,,etc.) are $6/hr.  Star
Services areas are $4.95/month for unlimited use on non-prime time.

milo@cartan.math.nd.edu (Greg Corson) (11/13/90)

From article <115@genco.bungi.com>, by rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel):
> In article <1204@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>>STAR*SERVICES are $4.95 a month.  They include normal email, the usual
>>basic utilties, stock quotes, etc.  Other services, including Roundtables
>>(newsgroups) and uploading/downloading cost $6 an hour or so.
>
> Uploading is FREE in GEnie in ALL RoundTables. There is a rumor that 9600
> access will begin next year.  At least for major cities.  No word on rates
> for 9600 though.
>
> Star*Services include over 100 areas including mail, mall, Easy Sabre
> (American Airlines flight reservation), lots of news and more.  All of the
> computer related roundtables (Mac, FreeSoft, Mac Pro,,etc.) are $6/hr.  Star
> Services areas are $4.95/month for unlimited use on non-prime time.
I'm the author of one of GEnie's multiplayer games A-Maze-ing (a 3D maze
combat game) and am on GEnie constantly.  I thought I'd confirm this stuff
for you.  Yes, it is $4.96 for unlimited mail and lots of other services.  These
other services include a number of bulletin board areas on "leasure/hobby"
topics.  And, as previously mentioned, GEnie is charging $6 per hour for
300/1200/2400 baud access.  They've pulled all the services that come under
the $4.95 a month heading over into a seperate block of menus so you can easily
wander through them without getting charged.

If you DO get on GEnie, be sure to take a look at what's on the other set
of menus.  There are a lot of things there that are worthwile including all
the CB/Chat areas and multiplayer games.

The new GEnie Star*Services are really a pretty good deal, I recommend it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a GEnie employee, but I do get paid royalties on the game
I developed for them.  Make of that what you will....(but if you do get on
GEnie, stop by in my game and say Hi!)

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306
{uunet, rutgers}!iuvax!ndmath!milo
milo@ndmath
GEnie:  GCORSON

scott@scotty (Scott Howard) (11/15/90)

In his article on the Net, Norm extolls the virtues of GEnie (which I
have abandoned in Favor of America On-Line). What he does not tell you
is that he gets a substantial cut of the revenues generated by users
utilizing the FreeSoft Roundtable.

Mr G. oughta be a little more up front about who pays him what.
Anything else is dishonest.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov14.193132.8256@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@scotty (Scott Howard) writes:

>In his article on the Net, Norm extolls the virtues of GEnie (which I
>have abandoned in Favor of America On-Line). What he does not tell you
>is that he gets a substantial cut of the revenues generated by users
>utilizing the FreeSoft Roundtable.
>
>Mr G. oughta be a little more up front about who pays him what.
>Anything else is dishonest.

	Give me a break, its a good deal anyway you cut it. My promoting
	and like of the Star Services does NOTHING for me in any way,
	shape, or form. My Signature indicates I co-sysop the Freesoft RT
	what more of a disclaimer do you want anyway?
--

clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov14.193132.8256@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@scotty (Scott Howard) writes:

>In his article on the Net, Norm extolls the virtues of GEnie (which I
>have abandoned in Favor of America On-Line). What he does not tell you
>is that he gets a substantial cut of the revenues generated by users
>utilizing the FreeSoft Roundtable.
>
>Mr G. oughta be a little more up front about who pays him what.
>Anything else is dishonest.

Yeah, let's slander Norm Goodger on the net - that's a truly original method
of discrediting someone's point of view - and truly ineffective. Surely you
have more intelligence than this defamation would indicate.

I know Norm Goodger from using MacInfo BBS, and I think it is TOTALLY
unreasonable of you to slander him, especially on a worldwide network.

A public apology is in order here.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

| Jason Haines, Vice-President                                                |
| Club Mac - Australia's Largest Macintosh Users Group                        |
| G.P.O. Box 4523, Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA, 2001                   |
| INTERNET:clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au  UUCP: uunet!runxtsa.runx.oz.au!clubmac |
| ACSNet:  clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz                                            |
| Phone: (02) 743-6929                            Club Mac BBS: (02) 907-9198 |
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ |
| "If that was his face, then he has a huge cleft in his chin" - Agent 86     |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (11/28/90)

clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Australias Largest Mac Users Group) writes:

> >In his article on the Net, Norm extolls the virtues of GEnie (which I
> >have abandoned in Favor of America On-Line). What he does not tell you
> >is that he gets a substantial cut of the revenues generated by users
> >utilizing the FreeSoft Roundtable.
> >
> >Mr G. oughta be a little more up front about who pays him what.
> >Anything else is dishonest.
>
> Yeah, let's slander Norm Goodger on the net - that's a truly original method
> of discrediting someone's point of view - and truly ineffective. Surely you
> have more intelligence than this defamation would indicate.

Well, _I_ don't know that it's slander.  So, I tried to straighten it out.
On the basis that the above claim of Norm's getting money as a result of the
FreeSoft RT participants using the RT is somewhat questionable, I asked Norm
himself whether this was the case.  It was my impression that such was NOT the
case; plus, if someone made questionable comments about me on the net, I would
hope that others would question ME about said comments, and I was assuming that
Norm would likewise appreciate my going straight to his (the horse's) mouth
on this issue to straighten it all out.

Norm's response?  Here it is:

---------cut here---------

Yes, I saw this, my signature on internet msgs identifies me as a co-sysop
of the Freesoft RT. This is all bogus as far as I am concerned. I also
don't appreciate you re-posting it in this conference, its none of your
business.

---------cut here---------

(as it turned out, I sought confirmation via Fidonet in a public conference
where Norm is well-known, and of late is well-known to evangelize for GEnie.
 This Fidonet newsgroup has some rules of participation, one of which is that
it's extremely courteous--not a strict rule yet, but courteous--for representatives
of companies to announce themselves as such when discussing matters in which
they have a stake.)

His response, not quite what I was expecting, pretty much refuted what I suspected.
 Hmmmmm.  It would seem, then, that my initial impression--that of Norm giving
up his valuable time to help out on GEnie in the FreeSoft RT, and that of GEnie
graciously giving him free time while he's in that RT to perform his duties--might
have been wrong.

"None of your business" indeed.  All I did was ask in order to clear that up
so that Norm's position with respect to his participation in Fidonet (specifically,
in Echomac) could be cleared up.

Never let it be said that when I see something which is possibly libelous, that
I don't go and try to straighten it out _before_ spreading the information.
 But what can I do when the subject in question flatly refuses to speak about
it?  The question remains, hanging in the air, neither confirmed nor denied,
with people dividing themselves into two camps based solely on suspicion (does
he, or doesn't he?  Does his hairdresser know for sure?).

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix