[comp.sys.mac.comm] ISC UNIX as Mac File Server?

garyb@gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (11/27/90)

Folks,

Does anyone know if there exists software to allow a host running Interactive
UNIX  (Sys VR3.2 UNIX for i80386 PCs), to provide file services for the
mac?  I know theres plenty for Sun (via TOPS), and DEC but what I'd really
like to do is use the `mondo' big SCSI drive on my UNIX box to mount a
partition on a mac and avoid the expense of another decentralized external
hard disk.

Many thanks for your advice.

- Gary   E-mail:   ...uunet!philabs!crpmks!gallium!garyb
                   garyb@gallium

P.S. Sorry if this has been asked before or if it appears in a FAQ (I havn't
seen one of these yet for this group.)

hardie@Apple.COM (Robert H. Tankersley) (11/29/90)

In article <368@gallium.UUCP> garyb@gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:

>Does anyone know if there exists software to allow a host running Interactive
>UNIX  (Sys VR3.2 UNIX for i80386 PCs), to provide file services for the
>mac?

Yes Gary, there are several ways to use a unix machine as a Mac file server.
The three that I know of are:

1. GatorShare from Cayman Systems.  This comes with the GatorBox, an ethernet/
AppleTalk router and NFS-AFP translator.  It can make an NFS volume look just
like an AppleShare server to the Macs (or whatever).

2. MacPathway from Wollongong.  This is a software only solution to the NFS-AFP
translation problem.  It lets your Mac connect to an NFS server and pretends
it's an AppleShare server.  Just double-click and your NFS volume opens up
with files, folders, icons, etc.

3. uShare from Sony(?).  This is software that runs on your unix box and
interprets AFP to the unix file system.  This is just like running AppleShare
on your unix machine.

The Cayman and the Sony solution also include mail gateways from Mac to unix
mail and other goodies.  I hope this helps.

Hardie

internet-> hardie@apple.com

.....signature under construction.....
Disclaimer: I wish I could speak for Apple, but I can't.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/30/90)

In article <46928@apple.Apple.COM>, hardie@Apple.COM (Robert H. Tankersley)
writes:
> In article <368@gallium.UUCP> garyb@gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:
> >
> >Does anyone know if there exists software to allow a host running Interactive
> >UNIX  (Sys VR3.2 UNIX for i80386 PCs), to provide file services for the
> >mac?
>
> Yes Gary, there are several ways to use a unix machine as a Mac file server.
> The three that I know of are:
>
> 1. GatorShare from Cayman Systems.  This comes with the GatorBox, an ethernet/
> AppleTalk router and NFS-AFP translator.  It can make an NFS volume look just
> like an AppleShare server to the Macs (or whatever).
>
> 2. MacPathway from Wollongong.  This is a software only solution to the NFS-AFP
> translation problem.  It lets your Mac connect to an NFS server and pretends
> it's an AppleShare server.  Just double-click and your NFS volume opens up
> with files, folders, icons, etc.
>
> 3. uShare from Sony(?).  This is software that runs on your unix box and
> interprets AFP to the unix file system.  This is just like running AppleShare
> on your unix machine.
>
> The Cayman and the Sony solution also include mail gateways from Mac to unix
> mail and other goodies.  I hope this helps.
>
> Hardie
>
> internet-> hardie@apple.com
>
> .....signature under construction.....
> Disclaimer: I wish I could speak for Apple, but I can't.

Hmm, this guy must have just missed the big discussion in
comp.protocols.appletalk.  There are MANY solutions to this problem.  Amoung
them are the above, and also:

NFS/Share from InterCon Systems Corporation.  This is a true NFS client (so
it the Wollogong software by the way, neither our product nor theirs does
AFP - NFS conversion).  You bring up the chooser select the NFS/Share icon,
and then pick from the list of NFS servers that shows up after it goes out
and looks on the net.

CAP in various versions will allow you to use a UNIX box as a AppleShare
server.  Most famous from Columbia University.

Mt Xinu sells a AppleShare server for UNIX as well.

These are just some of the ones that I can come up with off the top of my
head.  There are a bunch of solutions out there, the problem is to find which
one fits your problem best.

Hope this helps.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products