[comp.sys.mac.comm] Compuserve .sit to IBM to MAC = problem

BKL100@psuvm.psu.edu (11/29/90)

I have downloaded a stuffed binary file from Compuserve onto my IBM pc.
However, when I transfer the MS-DOS binary file to a MacIntosh via a
Superdive with Apple file transfer utility, Stuffit fails to recognize the
file as "unstuffable".  The Apple file transfer format is set to the default
(binary translation) and I still have the problem.  Do I have to download the
file directly to the Mac, or am I just doing something stupid?

If anybody has any ideas, please e-mail.  Thanx.

Brian Leader

wiseman@tellabs.com (Jeff Wiseman) (11/29/90)

In article <90333.014526BKL100@psuvm.psu.edu> BKL100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>I have downloaded a stuffed binary file from Compuserve onto my IBM pc.
>However, when I transfer the MS-DOS binary file to a MacIntosh via a
>Superdive with Apple file transfer utility, Stuffit fails to recognize the
>file as "unstuffable".  The Apple file transfer format is set to the default
>(binary translation) and I still have the problem.  Do I have to download the
>file directly to the Mac, or am I just doing something stupid?

Nothing stupid. AFE is stupid.

Your transfered file has the problem that AFE does not recognise MacBinary
files that are on DOS disks. When it transfered your file, it took ALL of the
binary data and put it into ONE file fork (ie. the data fork) instead of
spitting it into its different components.

I believe that there is a tool (I think it is called MacBinary) that will
expand your mac file into the proper form after transfer so that Stuffit can do
it.

--
Jeff Wiseman:	....uunet!tellab5!wiseman OR wiseman@TELLABS.COM

MBDZM@ROHVM1.BITNET (11/30/90)

The problem is a very simple one, but it may be difficult for you to fix.

STUFFIT looks for a file type and creator of "SIT!"  (caps required).

I'm relatively new to the MAC so the only program I know of that allows
you to change this is SUM (Symantec Utilites for the Mac).

I'm sure there are other programs that will allow you to do this, but
I don't know them.

If you still have questions, please email to uunet!gsm001!gsm

Geoff Mendelson

crs@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Chris Gregors) (11/30/90)

BKL100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> I have downloaded a stuffed binary file from Compuserve onto my IBM pc.
> However, when I transfer the MS-DOS binary file to a MacIntosh via a
> Superdive with Apple file transfer utility, Stuffit fails to recognize the
> file as "unstuffable".  The Apple file transfer format is set to the default
> (binary translation) and I still have the problem.  Do I have to download the
> file directly to the Mac, or am I just doing something stupid?

The problem relates to the Macintosh using the Mac-Binary Format
for Xmodem transfers. The solutions are many:
 1. Transfer the files from Cserv using The Mac and Xmodem in Mac-binary mode
 2. If the files are on an IBM then use a terminal program on the
    Mac to transfer the files of the IBM using the Mac-binary format
    of an Xmodem transfer.
 3. Transfer the files to the Mac by diskette using File Exchange and
    then use two copies of your terminal program under Multi-finder on
    the printer and modem ports and transfer the files from one terminal
    program to the other.

If you choose option 3, I've had good success doing this at 57600 Baud
using Microphone II