[comp.sys.mac.comm] Comms Toolbox

lmp@castle.ed.ac.uk (L Patience) (08/06/90)

Has anyone out there successfully written a Communications Toolbox Tool -
Connection, Terminal or File Transfer which includes more than the
sample example code provided ?  I have been able to build a simple
Connection Tool following the documentation but when I try to add to
this I run into code segmentation problems when linking. I am using
MPW C 3.1 and Comms Toolbox 1.0 - please email any ideas, help or
suggestions.

Lynn

han@apple.COM (Byron Han) (08/09/90)

In article <5538@castle.ed.ac.uk> lmp@castle.ed.ac.uk (L Patience) writes:
> Has anyone out there successfully written a Communications Toolbox Tool -
> Connection, Terminal or File Transfer which includes more than the
> sample example code provided ?

Uh, yes.  One or two.  :-)

> I run into code segmentation problems when linking.

What sort of link problems?   are you using embedded strings? stdio?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Byron Han                        Internet: han@apple.COM,
| 20525 Mariani Ave, MS69L         AppleLink: HAN1
| Cupertino, CA 95014              Phone: 408/974-6450
| "The Journey is the Journey, the Reward is the Reward, Sorry for the
|      Confusion"

ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr b.c. adamson) (10/27/90)

Just a quickie.. Is there any way I can get a copy of the Comms Toolbox
file (which I assume is an INIT) by ftp or some other method? Just the
file.. not the docs, not the interface headers. If I get it from AAPDA
I have to fork over a lot of cash for a lot of stuff that I don't
really need (want, yes; need, no).

Boyd Adamson
ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au
ins145s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/01/90)

In article <5578@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c.
adamson) writes:
> Just a quickie.. Is there any way I can get a copy of the Comms Toolbox
> file (which I assume is an INIT) by ftp or some other method? Just the
> file.. not the docs, not the interface headers. If I get it from AAPDA
> I have to fork over a lot of cash for a lot of stuff that I don't
> really need (want, yes; need, no).
>
> Boyd Adamson
> ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au
> ins145s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au

So what you are asking for here is for someone to illegally give you software?
--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (11/01/90)

In an article Kurt Baumann writes:

>> Just a quickie.. Is there any way I can get a copy of the Comms Toolbox
>> file (which I assume is an INIT) by ftp or some other method? Just the
>> file.. not the docs, not the interface headers. If I get it from AAPDA
>> I have to fork over a lot of cash for a lot of stuff that I don't
>> really need (want, yes; need, no).

>So what you are asking for here is for someone to illegally give you software?

Give the guy a break huh?  Apple is distributing the software under license
for FREE. Heck, I can download it from America Online, or from various BBS's.
Check the facts before you decide to get on someone's case.

- Chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William L Nussbaum) (11/02/90)

In <272F32EF.C7B@intercon.com>, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:

>In article <5578@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c.
> adamson) writes:
>> Just a quickie.. Is there any way I can get a copy of the Comms Toolbox
>> file (which I assume is an INIT) by ftp or some other method? Just the
>> file.. not the docs, not the interface headers. If I get it from AAPDA
>> I have to fork over a lot of cash for a lot of stuff that I don't
>> really need (want, yes; need, no).
>>
>> Boyd Adamson
>> ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au
>> ins145s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au
>

>So what you are asking for here is for someone to illegally give you software?

Since many of Apple's tools (ResEdit, for example) are distributed publicly at
no cost as well as through APDA at what I sometimes consider rather hefty
costs, I expect that he was asking if this were the case with CTB; I've
actually been wondering myself whether the same materials were available; I'm
looking at starting a project, and would like to use CTB.  But at $80+ for the
information on its use (the reverse of his request), it's just too much to
spend on that limited a scope of information right now...

- Lee

In article <272F32EF.C7B@intercon.com> kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) writes:
>In article <5578@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c.
>adamson) writes:
>> Just a quickie.. Is there any way I can get a copy of the Comms Toolbox
>> file (which I assume is an INIT) by ftp or some other method? Just the
>> file.. not the docs, not the interface headers. If I get it from AAPDA
>> I have to fork over a lot of cash for a lot of stuff that I don't
>> really need (want, yes; need, no).
>>
>> Boyd Adamson
>> ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au
>> ins145s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au
>
>So what you are asking for here is for someone to illegally give you software?

LIGHTEN UP!.  The Comm Toolbox is available from electronically licensed BBSs--
there's no (moral) reason it shouldn't be available via FTP from apple.com
(though I don't think it is)
Tax the rich, and feed the poor -- until there are, rich no more.

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (11/02/90)

In article <5578@monu1.cc.monash.oz> ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c. adamson) writes:
>Just a quickie.. Is there any way I can get a copy of the Comms Toolbox
>file (which I assume is an INIT) by ftp or some other method?

Good grief, with all of the arguing about whether it was free or not, no one
seems to have answered the question!

The Comm Toolbox seems to be freely distributable... someone just gave it
to me.  It comes as a startup disk with a System Folder, a copy of the
Installer, and an Installer script for installing the CTB.  Unfortunately
the software is NOT an INIT, it is installed directly into the System file,
so there is no individual file that can be distributed.

I plan to put the software up on my BBS later today (Memory Alpha BBS, at
607-257-5822), and you're welcome to look for it there (try tomorrow, I
would suggest).  It means a long download, though, so if you prefer you can
mail me a diskette (800K or 1.4Mb) and a SASE, and I'll send you a copy.

IF THIS IS NOT LEGAL, which I am assuming it is, someone please tell me
before I make too much of a mess. :-)

--
Mark H. Anbinder        *************************   mha@theory.tn.cornell.edu
BAKA Computers          *                 *******  ...!batcomputer!memory!mha

rah@public.BTR.COM (Richard A Hyde rah@btr.com) (11/03/90)

|> Just a quickie.. Is there any way I can get a copy of the Comms Toolbox
|> file (which I assume is an INIT) by ftp or some other method? Just the
|> file.. not the docs, not the interface headers. If I get it from AAPDA
|> I have to fork over a lot of cash for a lot of stuff that I don't
|> really need (want, yes; need, no).
|>

|So what you are asking for here is for someone to illegally give you software?

I believe the Comm Toolbox INIT is in the same catagory as the rest of the
system software.  If you just want the INIT, get it from a dealer or from
one of ple's free distribution sites.

Rick
|   Richard Hyde  |  RaH@btr.com  |    This space intentionally left blank   |

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (11/05/90)

In article <884@public.BTR.COM>, rah@public.BTR.COM (Richard A Hyde
rah@btr.com) writes:
> I believe the Comm Toolbox INIT is in the same catagory as the rest of the
> system software.  If you just want the INIT, get it from a dealer or from
> one of ple's free distribution sites.

	Rick Fleishman (from APDA) can correct me if I am wrong - but the
Macintosh Communications Toolbox is _NOT_ part of System Software, at least
not till 7.0 when it is built it.
	As such you must have a redistribution license (especially electronically)
from Apple in order to redistribute.  At this time the CTB is just like ResEdit
when it comes to redistribution.  Also, since it is NOT System Software,
the standard System Software redistribution license does not apply.
--
Leonard Rosenthol
Software Ventures Corp.

carl@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov2.035431.28724@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
=
=LIGHTEN UP!.  The Comm Toolbox is available from electronically licensed BBSs--
=there's no (moral) reason it shouldn't be available via FTP from apple.com
=(though I don't think it is)
=--
=Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@eng.umd.edu	russotto@wam.umd.edu

(I don't recall seeing it on apple.com recently!)

Since it IS available from licensed BBSs, does anyone have a list of licensed
and/or unlicensed BBSs that have Mac software, digitized sound or GIFs/TIFF
images?  I use FTP all the time, but keep hearing that so much is available
from the BBSs.  I'd like to get some firsthand knowledge.

-Carl
--
Carl A Baltrunas 408/922-6206|SMTP:carl@doctor.TYMNET.COM,carl@tymix.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet (Network Services) |UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!doctor!carl

kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu (Lars Kellogg-Stedman) (11/06/90)

In article 1390, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) said, in part...
>In article <5578@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c.
>adamson) writes:
>
>So what you are asking for here is for someone to illegally give you software?
>--

No, you ninne.  He's asking if there is any way for him to obtain the comm.
toolbox via FTP (or some other method), much like Apple distributes their
system software and tech notes from apple.com.

>Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
>703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
>703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.

Lars

--
~ ~ | Lars Kellogg-Stedman                 | "Software rots if not used"
O-O | kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu |        - The Tao of Programming
 |  +--------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
-=- |   I'm rarely responsible for what I say, do you think anybody else is?

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (11/06/90)

In article <10232@ur-cc.UUCP> kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu
(Lars Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
>No, you ninne.  He's asking if there is any way for him to obtain the comm.
>toolbox via FTP (or some other method), much like Apple distributes their
>system software and tech notes from apple.com.

Ahem.  The CTB is currently licensed software, not part of System Software.
As such, the only way to get it is to buy a copy from APDA or a redistribution
license from Apple.  Since the original poster explicitly ruled out these
options, he WAS asking for an illegal copy of the software.  He may not
have realized it, but that is what he was doing.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov4.204850.20527@svc.portal.com> leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <884@public.BTR.COM>, rah@public.BTR.COM (Richard A Hyde
>rah@btr.com) writes:
>> I believe the Comm Toolbox INIT is in the same catagory as the rest of the
>> system software.  If you just want the INIT, get it from a dealer or from
>> one of ple's free distribution sites.
>>
>	Rick Fleishman (from APDA) can correct me if I am wrong - but the
>Macintosh Communications Toolbox is _NOT_ part of System Software, at least
>not till 7.0 when it is built it.
>	As such you must have a redistribution license (especially electronically)
>from Apple in order to redistribute.  At this time the CTB is just like ResEdit
>when it comes to redistribution.  Also, since it is NOT System Software,
>the standard System Software redistribution license does not apply.
>--
>Leonard Rosenthol
>Software Ventures Corp.
>MicroPhone II Development Team

Leonard is absolutely correct.  Macintosh Communications Toolbox is NOT part
of Macintosh System Software v.6.0.x.  It will be part of System 7.0 when it is released.  As such, a separate and unique license agreement must be signed
with Apple in order to redistribute the Macintosh Communications Toolbox.

This is also true for the various Tools available for the Comm. Toolbox.

For information on licensing any Apple software, contact Apple Software
Licensing at (408) 974-4667.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (11/07/90)

In article <1327@doctor.Tymnet.COM>, carl@doctor.Tymnet.COM (Carl Baltrunas)
writes:
> In article <1990Nov2.035431.28724@eng.umd.edu> russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
> =
> =LIGHTEN UP!.  The Comm Toolbox is available from electronically licensed BBSs--
> =there's no (moral) reason it shouldn't be available via FTP from apple.com
> =(though I don't think it is)
> =--
> =Matthew T. Russotto	russotto@eng.umd.edu	russotto@wam.umd.edu
>
> (I don't recall seeing it on apple.com recently!)

That's correct, you haven't, because it falls into the same category as MacTCP.
Which is that you can purchase it, but you cannot just redistribute it, unless
it is part of a "product".  Apple can correct me if I am wrong, but I really
doubt that there are any ligit BBS's that are allowing it to be downloaded.
--

Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
> In article 1390, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) said, in part...
> >In article <5578@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c.
> >adamson) writes:
> >
> >So what you are asking for here is for someone to illegally give you software?
> >--
>
> No, you ninne.  He's asking if there is any way for him to obtain the comm.
> toolbox via FTP (or some other method), much like Apple distributes their
> system software and tech notes from apple.com.

Go read the original posting.  He was asking for people to give him a copy
of the software since he had found no place to FTP it from.  At least keep
it straight.

As an aside the ONW wrote me mail expressing that he was not trying to get
it illegally, he thought that Apple was giving it out.

PS That's "ninny" not ninne... :-)
--

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (11/07/90)

In article <ttlyhrqpoa@visix.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>Ahem.  The CTB is currently licensed software, not part of System Software.
>As such, the only way to get it is to buy a copy from APDA or a redistribution
>license from Apple.  Since the original poster explicitly ruled out these

No, you can also get an account on Compuserve. They have it posted there.
I think GEnie also has it.

jim
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.005629.3494@silvlis.com>, jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler)
writes:
> In article <ttlyhrqpoa@visix.com> amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
> >Ahem.  The CTB is currently licensed software, not part of System Software.
> >As such, the only way to get it is to buy a copy from APDA or a redistribution
> >license from Apple.  Since the original poster explicitly ruled out these
>
> No, you can also get an account on Compuserve. They have it posted there.
> I think GEnie also has it.

	I can not comment on Compuserve, but both GEnie and America Online
have the CTB available from downloading.   On GEnie it is located in both
the Macintosh RT and the Macintosh Programmer's RT.  On America Online it
is in the Hardware Forum (don't ask why!??)
--

mha@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mark H. Anbinder) (11/10/90)

In article <1990Nov2.155734.24119@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> I wrote:

>The Comm Toolbox seems to be freely distributable...

Well, it is definitely not freely distributable.  Thanks to everyone who
sent messages telling me so... even those of you who assumed I was a moron.
Easy mistake to make, I guess. :-)

Having spoken with Apple's Software Licensing division, I can tell you
that the Comm Toolbox, like the System Software, HyperCard (previously,
at least), ResEdit, etc., cannot be distributed without a license.

So... I am getting a license.  The CTB is not CURRENTLY available on
Memory Alpha BBS, but it will be soon.  I will post an announcement here
when it is available.

No, the license isn't free... but I think it's worth the investment to
provide a better service to my users.

--

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/01/90)

Kellogg-Stedman) writes:
> In article 1390, kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) said, in part...
> >In article <5578@monu1.cc.monash.oz>, ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c.
> >adamson) writes:
> >
> >So what you are asking for here is for someone to illegally give you software?
> >--
>
> No, you ninne.  He's asking if there is any way for him to obtain the comm.
> toolbox via FTP (or some other method), much like Apple distributes their
> system software and tech notes from apple.com.
>
> >Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
> >703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products
> >703.709.9896 FAX               for the Macintosh.
>
> Lars
>
> --
> ~ ~ | Lars Kellogg-Stedman                 | "Software rots if not used"
> O-O | kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu |        - The Tao of Programming
>  |  +--------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
> -=- |   I'm rarely responsible for what I say, do you think anybody else is?

Sheesh talk about OLD articles coming back to haunt you... :-)

Comeon this one has already been hashed over, and if you had read the rest
of the group of articles you would have seen that.

The whole problem here is, the way in which this person asked the question
suggested that he was requesting someone to give him an illegal copy of the
software.  I don't read minds, do you?  Hence I don't read into what he asked
for.

Apple is apparently doing special deals where BBS operators can distribute
the software for free ( I think it is without full documentation ).  Given
this then he can get it that way, until then there are no FTP sources for
this product that I know about.  The only way I am aware of is to purchase
the software.  You know spend money on it.

Have a nice day.