[comp.sys.mac.comm] Wow! What format for transfer .SIT files?

maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Human1 ~InnerTangent~) (11/30/90)

	Ok.  So it's obvious I'm a newborn to this mac world.

	But, what should I use, for transfering files via modem?
	I'm aware of 'StuffIT' and 'BinHex', thanks to many of you here.

	However, say, if I need to transfer a file vie FTP from a mac
that's connected with NETWORK NCSA, and then download a file from the UNIX
filespace into another mac that's connected with a modem.  The modem can
dial into the UNIX machine, and transfer that file vie Zmodem.

	If you are still with me so far,  congratuations.
	The questions is, can I just use a .sit file during all these
transfers, or need I binhex the .sit file before hand?

	That there is!  I really appreciate it if any one could help me
on this matter.

Thank you.

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.225212.952@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc0849@ucselx.sdsu.edu
(Human1 ~InnerTangent~) writes:
>       Ok.  So it's obvious I'm a newborn to this mac world.
>
>         But, what should I use, for transfering files via modem?
>         I'm aware of 'StuffIT' and 'BinHex', thanks to many of you here.

*Generally* use both.  :^)  Stuffit provides the file compression but
still leaves you with a binary file.  Rather than assume that whatever
protocol your modem package uses will support 8-bit transparent file
transfer, it's usually a good idea to binhex the ".sit" file and send it
over your modem a ".sit.hqx" file.  This is an ASCII file that every modem file transfer package should be able to handle.

>         However, say, if I need to transfer a file vie FTP from a mac
> that's connected with NETWORK NCSA, and then download a file from the
> UNIX filespace into another mac...

If both Macs were able to use NCSA Telnet 2.3 to reach the UNIX box that
you're using as an intermediary to exchange files, you would *not* need to
use either Stuffit or Binhex.  Just enable the "Macbinary" menu item under
NCSA's file menu before doing a *binary* FTP "put" to the UNIX
workstation.  The receiving Mac later logs onto the UNIX workstation,
ensures that it too has the "Macbinary" menu item enabled, and does a
*binary* FTP "get".  Voila, the Mac file c/w icon, data and resource forks
appears on the receiving Mac's disk.

> ...that's connected with a modem.  The modem can
> dial into the UNIX machine, and transfer that file vie Zmodem.

Ahh.  I'm not familiar with the Zmodem protocol.  (OK, I'm an IP and SLIP
bigot :^)  Two possibilites:

      - If Zmodem supports binary file transfer, again you do *not* have
to use either Stuffit or Binhex.  From the networked mac just binary FTP "put"
the file to the UNIX workstation, with  the "Macbinary" menu item enabled,
exactly as I mentioned above.  On the async file download, ensure that you
perform a binary file transfer to the remote mac.  Then use BinHex5 (*not* BinHex4.0) to decode the received MacBinary file into a proper Mac file c/w icon, both forks, etc.

     - If Zmodem doesn't support binary file transfer, or it does but you
can't get your async package to work properly, you can always fall back to
first "Stuffit"ing the file to reduce it's size (or to make many files into one), and then "BinHex4"ing the file to make it an ASCII file, and then, from the networked Mac, doing an ASCII FTP "put" to the UNIX workstation from the networked Mac.  Then to the remote mac, download the file over your async link as a simple ASCII file, and then unBinHex and unStuffit the file. (whew!)

>         If you are still with me so far,  congratuations.
>         The questions is, can I just use a .sit file during all these
> transfers, or need I binhex the .sit file before hand?

So to summarize,  using Stuffit, then BinHex4, will always work.  But if
you know you have an 8-bit transparent path on the upload and download,
you can dispense with either and use MacBinary format.  Hope this is
helpful,

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.131458.2599@bwdls61.bnr.ca>
           bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) writes:
> So to summarize,  using Stuffit, then BinHex4, will always work.  But if
> you know you have an 8-bit transparent path on the upload and download,
> you can dispense with either and use MacBinary format.  Hope this is
> helpful,

Even if you have an 8-bit transparent path, you might want to use Stuffit
just to decrease the size of the file you are transfering.  You could then
use the MacBinary format to transfer the .sit file produced by StuffIt.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA