[comp.sys.mac.comm] Looking for AFP Server

andrewd@masada.3com.com (Andrew Dater) (11/14/90)

I'm looking for a non-dedicated AFP server for my Mac.  I've seen one or
two but they don't fit my needs.  Can anyone recommend one, even that they
maybe just know about but haven't tried?

Andrew Dater--

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (11/15/90)

In article <2929@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> andrewd@masada.3com.com (Andrew
Dater) writes:
> I'm looking for a non-dedicated AFP server for my Mac.  I've seen one or
> two but they don't fit my needs.  Can anyone recommend one, even that
they
> maybe just know about but haven't tried?

Macintosh OS System 7.0.    :^)    :^)

Sorry, Andrew, but I couldn't resist...

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (12/03/90)

The two good ones are allShare and DataClub.

allShare is very inexpensive, and very stable. It supports AFP, including byte-
range locking (for databases and the like), and mounts through the standard
Apple Chooser client software. Very little in the way of privileges. It uses
a small amount of memory on the host. The latest version runs under A/UX
(at last!).

DataClub is a high-end AppleShare replacement. Very stable, does everything
that AppleShare does, and much more- it's a true distributed file system. Way
cool, and probably my favorite software of the year (except A/UX, maybe).

Both of these packages run at about 65-70% of AppleShare's speed, and both
have a marginal effect on local operations. But DataClub's got a net advantage
over AppleShare, since you can generally arrange things so that the most
commonly used files on the server actually reside _on your machine_, even
though you access them through the server.

See my review of servers in MacWeek (August 14), and of DataClub (Macweek,
sometime around Christmas).

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis