[comp.sys.mac.comm] Help finding telenet software to perform ftp as remote

schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William Schorsch) (12/02/90)

I am currently using NCSA Telenet software (from Univ. of Illinois at urbana
with a MacSE appletalk connected to a fastpath -> ethernet to Usenet
I currently have to connect to a local Sun Workstation and ftp from there,
then, ftp to my mac and send from the Sun to me, I would like to remove
the middle step... ( I read a review in Macworld Jan 91, p. 207 on
TCP/Connect II 1.0, has anyone used this?)
How about a pd program like NSCA Telnet, (TCP/Connect is $495!!)
Thanks, Brent Schorsch (schorsch@oxy.edu)

jennerr@darwin.ntu.edu.au (Bob Jenner) (12/04/90)

In article <131134@tiger.oxy.edu> schorsch@oxy.edu (Brent William
Schorsch) writes:
> I am currently using NCSA Telenet software (from Univ. of Illinois at
urbana
> with a MacSE appletalk connected to a fastpath -> ethernet to Usenet
> I currently have to connect to a local Sun Workstation and ftp from
there,
> then, ftp to my mac and send from the Sun to me, I would like to remove
> the middle step... ( I read a review in Macworld Jan 91, p. 207 on
> TCP/Connect II 1.0, has anyone used this?)
> How about a pd program like NSCA Telnet,
I am currently using BYU Telnet which allows direct FTP. However you also
need Mac TCP which is available from APDA. Incedentally, there is also a
stack called Hyper FTP which is very nice. I can't recall which site it is
on but if you want more info, send me an e-mail.
Regards

Bob Jenner, Northern Territory University
Computing Dep't.
PO Box 40146, Casuarina NT Australia 0811
Tel 089-466397

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/05/90)

writes:
> How about a pd program like NSCA Telnet, (TCP/Connect is $495!!)

The $495 price is for the Extended version, which probably contains more
functionality than what you need.  Give us a call at 703.709.9890 X231 (sales)
or drop me a note with your address.  We do have other levels of the product
that may better (and less expensivily) meet your need.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu (Conrad C. Nobili) (12/05/90)

 Schorsch) writes:
> I am currently using NCSA Telenet software (from Univ. of Illinois at
 urbana
> with a MacSE appletalk connected to a fastpath -> ethernet to Usenet
> I currently have to connect to a local Sun Workstation and ftp from
 there,
> then, ftp to my mac and send from the Sun to me, I would like to remove
> the middle step... ( I read a review in Macworld Jan 91, p. 207 on
> TCP/Connect II 1.0, has anyone used this?)
> How about a pd program like NSCA Telnet, (TCP/Connect is $495!!)
> Thanks, Brent Schorsch (schorsch@oxy.edu)

You describe an obvious need.  I will describe what I find to be a good
(and cheap) solution.  I am sure you will also hear about the virtues of
some of the commercial solutions.  Certainly you will hear about
TCP/Connect II, as there seems to be a dedicated Intercon presence on this
group :-) !  (btw, I am NOT complaining about too much commercial
salesmanship or anything, as most posts mention some competing commercial
or "PD" option, and there seems to be an effort to exhibit thorough
knowledge of these options (understandably not always fulfilled
completely, what with all that's out there and product changes)....)

I have found that HyperFTP works very well for ftp-ing directly from the
Mac.  HyperFTP 1.3 can be gotten at various Mac archives (did I get mine
from Sumex?).  I am sure that someone can provide the name of its "home"
archive.

HyperFTP is a HyperCard stack, and may not be ideal for that reason
(memory problems, disdain for HyperCard and the people who use it, etc.).
It also requires Apple's MacTCP drivers, and so I guess it is not free if
you don't already own them.  (You can get them for free if you buy
Mathematica!  8-)  )  Despite various rumblings, I have found MacTCP 1.0.1
to be very nice.  (It enables me to use the netnews reader stack that can
be gotten as part of the MacTCP Toolkit from apple.apple.com by anonymous
ftp, from which I am posting this.)

The greatest thing about HyperFTP, what makes it worth getting extra
memory for your Mac if you need it (c'mon, it's less that $40/MB now) and
swallowing your pride about HyperCard, is that it can AUTOMATICALLY
UNBINHEX FILES AS THEY ARE BEING DOWNLOADED!!!!!  I really love this
feature!  It has saved me many hours and lots of annoyance....

You can of course get NCSA Telnet 2.3.2 BYU from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu by
anonymous ftp.  If you cannot use MacTCP you can use the NCSA version of
this.  Expect a TRULY CRUFTY, minimal ftp client.  It works, but the user
interface stinks.

--Conrad

                     C o n r a d  C .  N o b i l i
Harvard University                 |  Internet: conrad@harvarda.harvard.edu
Office for Information Technology  |  BITNET:   CONRAD AT HARVARDA
Information Services               |  voice:    (617) 495-8554
Technical and User Services        |  fax:      (617) 495-0715
                    < < < D i s c l a i m e r > > >

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/07/90)

Have you tried on of the TelNet hacks that was done by
BYU?  It has host ftp built in, i.e. you can ftp into
a distant computer instead of logging into the distant
computer and then ftp'ing back again.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =