[comp.sys.mac.comm] Connecting Mac <-> Apollo

carlton@apollo.HP.COM (Carlton B. Hommel) (12/05/90)

chet@Advansoft.COM (Chet Wood) asks about connecting his Mac with an
Apollo Domain/OS unix system, without using kermit.  I've prepared the
following, for our internal use.

How to connect a Mac to an Apollo

The fastest way to connect a Mac to an Apollo is to buy an Ethernet
Card, for either a Mac II or SE/30, and connect into the network using
NCSA Telnet or some other TCP/IP software.  The research I did showed
that the Racal-Interlan cards delivered the most for the best price.

For people willing live with a transfer rate of about 1.5K cps, do the
following:

Hardware
1.  Get (or make) a null modem Mac-to-RS232 cable.
2.  Connect the modem port in the back of the Mac (the one with
    the phone symbol) with the tty01 port of your DNXXXX.
3.  Edit the file /sys/node_data/etc/ttys , and change the line
        tty01	none			dumb	off	secure
        tty01    "/etc/getty 19200-baud"  vt100   on       secure
4.  (As root), send a HUP signal to the init process, by
        # kill -1 1
5.  Check and make sure the process is running:
        # ps ax | grep tty01
        7392 ?       S     0:00 - 19200-baud tty01

Software:
1.  Find a Mac terminal emulator that supports the zterm protocol.
    ZTerm is $35 shareware, available from sumex.stanford.edu as
    file /info-mac/comm/zterm-085.hqx .  Various commercially
    available programs support zmodem, as well.  Send in your
    shareware fee if you use zterm regularly.
2.  Get the Unix zmodem package, and compile it.  It is available
    from sumex.stanford.edu as /info-mac/unix/zmodem-part[1234].shar.
    This will give you the rz and sz programs.

Mac Usage:
You're on your own, as far as getting the zterm-085.hqx file turned
into an application on your Mac.  Once you get it unbinhexed and
unstuffed, double click on the ZTerm icon.  Set the baud rate to
19.2K.  The other default settings are harmless.  You should now see a
login prompt, although it may be garbled because of a problem with
getty and 8 bit output.  Just type in your login normally, and things
will get back to normal.

Modem usage:
If you are dialing in over a phone line, then use a modem Mac-to-RS232
cable.  Set your baud rate to whatever your telecommunications
equipment expects.  Follow your usual dialup proceedures to log in.

File Transfers:
To send files from Mac to Apollo (upload):
Type "rz".  It will type back
	rz ready. To begin transfer, type "sz file ..." to your modem program
and start sending out magic zmodem characters.  Use the pulldown menu
to start a zmodem upload.

To send files from Apollo to Mac (download):
Type "sz file1 file2 file3 ... ".  It will respond
	Sending in Batch Mode
and wait.  The Zterm program will catch the magic zmodem characters,
and put the requested files onto your Mac disk.

There may be occasional problems with the interaction between sz and
your network.  If you are getting a throughput of 3%, rather than
75-90%, try copying the sz program, and the files you want to download,
onto the /tmp directory of the node you are logged into, and executing
the binary from there.

Another incredibly useful Unix program is mcvert.  Mcvert converts
binhexed *.hqx files into MacBinary *.bin files.  ZTerm will take the
MacBinary file and directly put it on your Mac - you don't need to run
binhex on your mac!  mcvert is  available from sumex.stanford.edu as
file /info-mac/unix/mcvert-15.shar .

Carl Hommel
carlton@apollo.hp.com

% ftp sumex.stanford.edu
cd /info-mac/unix
get mcvert-15.shar
get zmodem-part1.shar
get zmodem-part2.shar
get zmodem-part3.shar
get zmodem-part4.shar

cd /info-mac/comm
get zterm-085.hqx

In article <4e6a88b2.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> carlton@apollo.hp.com (Carlton B. Hommel) writes:
>Software:
>1.  Find a Mac terminal emulator that supports the zterm protocol.
>    ZTerm is $35 shareware, available from sumex.stanford.edu as
>    file /info-mac/comm/zterm-085.hqx .  Various commercially
>    available programs support zmodem, as well.  Send in your
>    shareware fee if you use zterm regularly.
MicroPhone III is expensive, but very good.

>2.  Get the Unix zmodem package, and compile it.  It is available
>    from sumex.stanford.edu as /info-mac/unix/zmodem-part[1234].shar.
>    This will give you the rz and sz programs.
I regularly do this and find that sending from the Apollo to the
Mac usually works okay (although it works more reliably if I use
the -e flag to escape control characters).  To the Apollo almost
always fails at 19.2 and often fails at 9600.  The transfer just
locks up, particularly if anything else is happening on the Apollo
at the same time.

I suppose it's too much to ask that someone finish tty support in
SR11?  (The person working on it at SR10 left Apollo in the middle
and as far as I know nothing has been done since.)

						-kee
--
Alphalpha Software, Inc.	|	motif-request@alphalpha.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.