[comp.sys.mac.comm] Looking for MacTCP version of TN3270

vturner@nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) (12/07/90)

We are trying to get some unix-phobic users away from the command line
on unix to read mail and possibly read news.

No problem, we just use a MacTCP POP mail reader (TechMail from mit,
or Mews, etc) for the mail, and a news reader (Mews or The-News) for
news.  Both require MacTCP.

The problem is that these people have to connect to a mainframe also,
so we use TN3270.  But if we run a MacTCP application first, MacTCP
grabs the port and won't let it go, so running TN3270 afterwards
results in a "port is in use" message.

Is there any way around this?  Is there a version of TN3270 that
supports MacTCP rather than the builtins?

Thanks in advance,

Vaughan
--
                     VaughAn Turner     Internet: vturner@nmsu.edu
     Networking/Workstation Support     Box 30001, Dept. 3AT

     Home Address: 1115 Larry Drive     Las Cruces, New Mexico 88001-5457

"...the first rule of engineering [is] to work with Earth's natural forces,
never against them."
                                                     "Earth"  by David Brin

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (12/07/90)

vturner@nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) writes:

>Is there any way around this?  Is there a version of TN3270 that
>supports MacTCP rather than the builtins?

TN3270 from brownvm.brown.edu (currently tn3d19) has a MacTCP version
as well as its own TCP.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC