[comp.sys.mac.comm] LocalTalk over electrical wiring

odell@buitc.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) (12/05/90)

I seem to remember a company that offered a box that plugged into
a wall socket and into the LocalTalk port on the back of a Mac.

The goal was to use the electrical wiring of a buildling to carry
localtalk signals.

Does anybody know anything else about such a product and
where I could buy such a thing

Thanks
Jim
jim@fpr.com

bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG) (12/08/90)

In article <70023@bu.edu.bu.edu> odell@buitc.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) writes:
>I seem to remember a company that offered a box that plugged into
>a wall socket and into the LocalTalk port on the back of a Mac.
>
>The goal was to use the electrical wiring of a buildling to carry
>localtalk signals.

Hmmmm.... Sounds like Rosebud.

Which was one of the better hoaxes in the world of Macaphilia.

John Heckendorn
                                                             /\
BMUG                      ARPA: bmug@garnet.berkeley.EDU    A__A
1442A Walnut St., #62     BITNET: bmug@ucbgarne             |()|
Berkeley, CA  94709       Phone: (415) 549-2684             |  |

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/08/90)

From article <1990Dec7.195714.29990@agate.berkeley.edu>, by bmug@garnet.berkeley.edu (BMUG):
> In article <70023@bu.edu.bu.edu> odell@buitc.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) writes:
>>I seem to remember a company that offered a box that plugged into
>>a wall socket and into the LocalTalk port on the back of a Mac.
>>
>>The goal was to use the electrical wiring of a buildling to carry
>>localtalk signals.
>>

> Hmmmm.... Sounds like Rosebud.
>
> Which was one of the better hoaxes in the world of Macaphilia.

It may not be so unlikely a product to appear in the future, though.
There's a company with a name something like GE-Marconi that markets
a device for RS-232 over electrical wiring.  You need a pair of 'em,
and they communicate with each other.  I have the address around here
if anybody wants it.

Perhaps this will develop someday into LocalTalk over electrical wiring...

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

       "If you're not a docter, you're just pants" -- Ian D., age 3 1/2