[comp.sys.mac.comm] Problems installing MacTCP

grimm@urz.unibas.ch (12/03/90)

Hi,

I'm having problems configuring MacTCP. I used to use NCSA
Telnet (i.e. the version with the built in TCP stack)
without any problems. But when I install MacTCP and try to
run the MacTCP Version of Telnet, I can't even start the
program, i.e. the program loads, but then it immediately
quits. I entered the internet addres manually and I am
using a GatorBox to get to a Sparcstation 1.
Can anybody give me some hints, what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Grimm
Mathematisches Institut der Universitaet Basel
email: grimm@urz.unibas.ch

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Dec2.205013.1200@urz.unibas.ch> grimm@urz.unibas.ch writes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems configuring MacTCP. I used to use NCSA
> Telnet (i.e. the version with the built in TCP stack)
> without any problems. But when I install MacTCP and try to
> run the MacTCP Version of Telnet, I can't even start the
> program, i.e. the program loads, but then it immediately
> quits. I entered the internet addres manually and I am
> using a GatorBox to get to a Sparcstation 1.
> Can anybody give me some hints, what I am doing wrong ?

Stefan, when a MacTCP-based application fires up quickly and then immediately
closes, that's often a sign that MacTCP is not properly installed.

You could try a 2nd MacTCP-based application to verify this.  One I use, is
Mahboud Zabetian's excellent "GetMyAddress" utility.  It can be found on
sumex-aim.stanford.edu, as well as on AppleLink.  (A more powerful version
comes with the avant garde group's EtherPeek s/w.) You can run
"GetMyAddress" to see if it returns an IP address or instead tells you
that MacTCP is not installed.  If MacTCP is not installed, there could be
any number of reasons for this:

  - you're on LocalTalk but you're DDP/IP gateway isn't NBP registering
    itself as an " IPGATEWAY" ( You could verify this with Apple's
    InterPoll s/w), or there's a break in your LocalTalk network such that
    you can't reliably see the DDP/IP (in your case, GatorBox) gateway.

  - your copy of MacTCP is damaged (You could install a fresh copy from
    your original disk.  The current version is MacTCP 1.01)

  - your copy of MacTCP is misconfigured (You could check the
    documentation and/or review your configuration with a co-worker or
    with the net)

Hope this helps,

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Jean-Marie Houle) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec2.205013.1200@urz.unibas.ch> grimm@urz.unibas.ch writes:
> I'm having problems configuring MacTCP. I used to use NCSA
> Telnet (i.e. the version with the built in TCP stack)
> without any problems. But when I install MacTCP and try to
> run the MacTCP Version of Telnet, I can't even start the
> program, i.e. the program loads, but then it immediately
> quits. I entered the internet addres manually and I am
> using a GatorBox to get to a Sparcstation 1.
> Can anybody give me some hints, what I am doing wrong ?

Using a Gatorbox, you cannot enter manually any internet address. It must
be within a certain range wich the the gatorbox administrator will tell
you or select "server" in the macTCP window.

Jean-Marie Houle                                  houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec              Tel (514) 652-8083
1800 Mtee Ste Julie                               Fax (514) 652-8435
Varennes, Quebec
Canada, J3X 1S1

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (12/06/90)

houlejm@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Jean-Marie Houle) writes:

>Using a Gatorbox, you cannot enter manually any internet address. It must
>be within a certain range wich the the gatorbox administrator will tell
>you or select "server" in the macTCP window.

This is not true. Though the number you choose in must be in the Gatorbox's
static range, you can choose it using the Manually choice in MacTCP.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

tom@wcc.oz (Tom Evans) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec2.205013.1200@urz.unibas.ch>, grimm@urz.unibas.ch writes:
> I'm having problems configuring MacTCP...
> I entered the internet addres manually and I am
> using a GatorBox to get to a Sparcstation 1.

Set MacTCP to "Server" so it can get its IP address from the
GatorBox. "Manually" works only if the address you give it is within
the "Static Range" of the box (or is this the way you were using
NCSA?).
Tom Evans  tom@wcc.oz.au ** ADD ".au" MANUALLY (don't trust "reply") **
Webster Computer Corp P/L, 1270 Ferntree Gully Rd Scoresby, Melbourne 3179
Victoria, Australia 61-3-764-1100  FAX ...764-1179

grimm@urz.unibas.ch (12/08/90)

Thanks to everyone who answered, it turned out that I
didn't turn on the static address range in the gatorbox.
After I enabled this everything worked fine.