[comp.sys.mac.comm] TelNet/FTP Transfers with two Hard Disks?

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/06/90)

If I ftp into my macintosh (that has TelNet running with
ftp enabled), I can only "see" the hard disk that the TelNet
program is resident on.  I cannot determine a way to "cd"
to the other hard drive.

Is this possible at all?  I have tried using all the flavors
of TelNet V2.3, i.e. with and without MacTCP and the BYU
version (which has host ftp built in)  with and without MacTCP.

Configuration: IIci, 8 megs, internal 80meg, external 160meg.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/07/90)

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>ftp enabled), I can only "see" the hard disk that the TelNet
>program is resident on.  I cannot determine a way to "cd"
>to the other hard drive.

>Is this possible at all?  I have tried using all the flavors
>of TelNet V2.3, i.e. with and without MacTCP and the BYU
>version (which has host ftp built in)  with and without MacTCP.

>Configuration: IIci, 8 megs, internal 80meg, external 160meg.

Well, here is the answer...

I believe theat telnet treats the desktop as root and all disks as directories
one level below. So to cd to a disk named Disk 1, you would do
cd "/Disk 1"
The "" are needed in case you have spaces in the disk name.
--
| Marek Behr                          | mf12605@uc.msc.umn.edu     (internet) |
| University of Minnesota             | AE01005@UMNACVX              (BITNET) |

Thanks to Marek.

(why do I always respond to my own postings?)
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =
= Applelink: N1111                                                         =
=I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/07/90)

Try cd diskname:foldername

That should work, I believe.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/10/90)

In article <5332@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
> >ftp enabled), I can only "see" the hard disk that the TelNet
> >program is resident on.  I cannot determine a way to "cd"
> >to the other hard drive.
>
> >Is this possible at all?  I have tried using all the flavors
> >of TelNet V2.3, i.e. with and without MacTCP and the BYU
> >version (which has host ftp built in)  with and without MacTCP.
>
> >Configuration: IIci, 8 megs, internal 80meg, external 160meg.
>
> Well, here is the answer...

===
> I believe theat telnet treats the desktop as root and all disks as
directories
> one level below. So to cd to a disk named Disk 1, you would do
> cd "/Disk 1"
> The "" are needed in case you have spaces in the disk name.
> --

The ability to change volumes through FTP is a function of the particular
FTP server implementation running on the target Mac.  As Marek points out,
with NCSA 2.3, 2.4 (among others) FTP servers,
cd "/volume name" works, and so does
cd ":volume name", where quotes are unnecessary if the volume name has no
                   spaces, and the volume name is case insensitive.

I use this technique to FTP files to or from an AppleShare volume by
FTPing through a dedicated Mac which has these AppleShare volumes mounted.
(Why not just run an FTP server on the AppleShare volume, you ask?  Well, AppleShare get's confused (e.g. crashes) when another process creates a new file o a volume, while it's publishing that same volume.   :^(

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca