[comp.sys.mac.comm] Comm Toolbox Tools - Where + Why + How?

joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) (12/07/90)

Greetings,

I manage a large installation of networked Macs and am trying to
figure out how the Apple Communications Toolbox fits into the
macintosh communications picture.  The following questions may be
naive as I haven't quite gotten a grasp on how things are supposed to
work together.  Any pointers from informed individuals would be
appreciated.

I own MacTCP which I use with NCSA Telnet, HyperFTP and other
applications.  It works fine.

I own Mac X which came with the CTB.   I installed it and it works
well.  I use the MacTCP tool to connect to our suns to run X windows
applications.

I just received the 3.0 upgrade to MacTerminal.  It also comes with
the Communications Toolbox.   I added its tools to the communications
folder with the ones already installed from MacX.  Serial connections
work fine.

My understanding was that the power of the Comm Toolbox was that it
allowed you to use interchangable modules to define link level
protocols, terminal emulation and file transfer, allowing greater
flexibility and interoperability between communications applications.
However when I try to use MacTerminal to open a TCP based session with
the TCP tool from Mac X, it does not work.

The questions:

1) The TCP tool that came with Mac X says "For use with Mac X only"
when I try to use it with MacTerminal.   Isn't this contrary to the
entire philosiphy of the Comm Toolbox?   Aren't tools supposed to
be generic plug in modules that work in a well defined way for ANY
application that uses them?

2) How should I approach this?  Do I need a different terminal
emulation tool?  A connection tool? Shouldn't the TCP tool and the
VT102 tool work together to allow such a connection?  Or do I need a
"Telnet" tool too....

3) Where can I find a reference of tools available for the CTB?

Thanks in advance.

Seymour

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (12/08/90)

In article <Dec.6.11.45.21.1990.10352@elbereth.rutgers.edu> joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:

>The questions:
>
>1) The TCP tool that came with Mac X says "For use with Mac X only"
>when I try to use it with MacTerminal.   Isn't this contrary to the
>entire philosiphy of the Comm Toolbox?   Aren't tools supposed to
>be generic plug in modules that work in a well defined way for ANY
>application that uses them?

Yes this is contrary to the underlying philosophy of the CommToolbox.
We are looking at ways of fixing this problem.

>2) How should I approach this?  Do I need a different terminal
>emulation tool?  A connection tool? Shouldn't the TCP tool and the
>VT102 tool work together to allow such a connection?  Or do I need a
>"Telnet" tool too....

You need a connection tool that supports Telnet.  Examples are TCPack
from Advanced Software Concepts, a connection tool from
Intercon, and a couple of others as well.

>3) Where can I find a reference of tools available for the CTB?

Try the CommToolbox discussion area on Applelink.

Products mentioned here are NOT an endorsement from Apple.
Byron Han, Software Artist           "1984 wasn't like 1984..."
Apple Computer, Inc.                 -----------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS: 35CP          Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                  UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                 Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/12/90)

In article <Dec.6.11.45.21.1990.10352@elbereth.rutgers.edu>,
joseph@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Seymour Joseph) writes:
> 1) The TCP tool that came with Mac X says "For use with Mac X only"
> when I try to use it with MacTerminal.   Isn't this contrary to the
> entire philosiphy of the Comm Toolbox?   Aren't tools supposed to
> be generic plug in modules that work in a well defined way for ANY
> application that uses them?

Yes in general you are correct.  Apple did (at least I think) not want to
provide a general TCP-tool, but needed one for MacX so... This tool is a
TCP only tool, you need a telnet tool.

There are two companies that provide (maybe three Alisa or Pacer?) a TCP-tool.
InterCon (both TCP and telnet tools) and AdvanTech (that right?) provide
TCP-tools.

InterCon "InterCon Telnet Driver/Tool" &
AdvanTech "TCPack".

> 2) How should I approach this?  Do I need a different terminal
> emulation tool?  A connection tool? Shouldn't the TCP tool and the
> VT102 tool work together to allow such a connection?  Or do I need a
> "Telnet" tool too....

You need a different connection tool.  One of the above.  The Telnet/TCP
tools will work with the full CTB, so you could use whatever Terminal tool
you want.

> 3) Where can I find a reference of tools available for the CTB?

Give APDA a call.  They are the people to talk to.  (Apple Programmer and
Developer Association).

Hope this helps.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products