[comp.sys.mac.comm] Mapping Delete Key on IBM Mainframe

DMANN@auvm.auvm.edu (Daniel Manning) (12/08/90)

     I have been unable to get my Delete Key to work when telecommunicating
with our mainframe.  We have an IBM 3090 VM/XA with a 7171 Protocol.  The
mainframe is suppose to be expecting a DEL (ascii 127) code.  The Delete
key on the Macintosh is also suppose to be issuing an ascii 127, but our
mainframe just sits there whenever I try it.
     My suspiscion is that the keyboard is emitting the ascii 127 but
that it is being trapped by either the Macintosh itself or the communication
program (MacKermit and Red Rider) and not being transmitted.  The Red Rider
documentation indicates that an ascii 127 can be produced from a procedure
with a caret $.  When I tried it, the mainframe deleted the whole line instead
of just the character at the cursor.
     Does anyone know how to rub out a single character?

daven@svc.portal.com (12/12/90)

In article <90341.123833DMANN@auvm.auvm.edu> DMANN@auvm.auvm.edu (Daniel Manning) writes:

>     I have been unable to get my Delete Key to work when telecommunicating
>with our mainframe.  We have an IBM 3090 VM/XA with a 7171 Protocol.  The
>mainframe is suppose to be expecting a DEL (ascii 127) code.
>
>     My suspiscion is that the keyboard is emitting the ascii 127 but
>that it is being trapped by either the Macintosh itself or the communication
>program (MacKermit and Red Rider) and not being transmitted.
>
>When I tried it, the mainframe deleted the whole line instead of just the
>character at the cursor.

I don't have the answer, but maybe some questions that will help.

a) What emulation does the 7171 expect you to be in? (It's usually VT100)
b) Is the 7171 a programmable device? (i.e. can the char sequences it expects
   to see be changed?) If it is, has someone programmed into it some oddball
   expectations for DEL and perhaps other keys?
c) How are you connecting to the 7171? Perhaps some ancient piece of comm
   equipment is swallowing your DEL or changing it.

   Dave Newman              |  daven@svc.portal.com        |  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   |  AOL: MicroPhone             |  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      |  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  |  (415) 644-3232